Author Topic: Minor Bug(?): Delay before stroke registers (depending on Zoom level)  (Read 2474 times)

UnluckyFrank

Okay, so this is something odd I noticed a while back when going back in forth between different drawing apps. I noticed in Artstudio Pro, when you put the apple pencil on the screen and start drawing, the line doesn’t instantly appear.

Like, When drawing really slowly with a brush, there appears to be a half-second (sometimes even full second) delay between the pencil connecting to the screen and the pixels actually appearing. The more you're zoomed out, the delay gets worse (especially if your brush size is small).

Yeah, I get it’s sort of a minor thing (it's almost unnoticeable if you drawing at a regular pace or faster), but it’s been bugging me since I noticed it (especially since other art apps I’ve used didn’t exhibit this). Plus it’s making drawing multiple, short little lines, slowly on my art a little irritating.

Again it's a minor thing, but I thought it was at least something to made aware off.

Andreas Raninger

I think it's a big issue if the artist is going in to do details after the main painting is done. I haven't experienced this myself, but I haven't done any art recently in ASP. I've been running around in the forest picking mushrooms, during a inspiration blockage. No, not magic mushrooms.  8)

Dorothyfan1

This is speculation…but I’m wondering if the delay is because the rendering is set to use “all layers” in the option setting. Because this could be the reason for the delay…it’s trying to quickly gauge the layers below to get the rending of the texture.

Edit: I’m now seeing the same lag as mentioned by the OP. I just experienced this lag right now as I was doing a simple paint job. I’ve never experienced this lag anytime before. This is the first time I’m seeing this lag and it’s concerning. This is on a fresh new canvas and I’m just doing a quick paint job on a single layer. Suddenly there’s a lag in seeing the stroke. Never saw this before. Why now? I had to do a hard reboot of my iPad and this seems to address this issue…for now. But I suspect until this is addressed this ugly lag may be seen again soon.
Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 03:46:58 PM by Dorothyfan1

Ben

Okay, so this is something odd I noticed a while back when going back in forth between different drawing apps. I noticed in Artstudio Pro, when you put the apple pencil on the screen and start drawing, the line doesn’t instantly appear.

Like, When drawing really slowly with a brush, there appears to be a half-second (sometimes even full second) delay between the pencil connecting to the screen and the pixels actually appearing. The more you're zoomed out, the delay gets worse (especially if your brush size is small).

Yeah, I get it’s sort of a minor thing (it's almost unnoticeable if you drawing at a regular pace or faster), but it’s been bugging me since I noticed it (especially since other art apps I’ve used didn’t exhibit this). Plus it’s making drawing multiple, short little lines, slowly on my art a little irritating.

Again it's a minor thing, but I thought it was at least something to made aware off.

UnluckyFrank try decreasing the spacing of the brush stamp to minimum and see if it still happens
Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 06:43:07 PM by Jack Ofalltrades

Dorothyfan1

I have a spacing of only 5%. And it’s lagging at this sizing?! No, I think the very last update to ASP is causing this issue. Because I haven’t experienced any lagging prior to the most recent update. Something in the last update is doing this and has to be reversed.

Edit: According to the last update there was a bug fix for the brush stamp angle when the canvas got rotated and or mirrored. I think the current bug is related to that bug fix. Apparently they did something to the brush stamp which is causing the lag after that last update.
Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 04:53:53 AM by Dorothyfan1

UnluckyFrank

UnluckyFrank try decreasing the spacing of the brush stamp to minimum and see if it still happens

It's still there after I set the brush stamp to minimum. I tried setting other values down to their minimums as well, but nothing changed either.
Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 02:22:37 PM by UnluckyFrank