Author Topic: Gradient Fill Question  (Read 3971 times)

RobC

Gradient Fill Question
on: March 12, 2021, 01:47:35 PM
I’m very new to Artstudio Pro and still trying to figure out some basics. When I try to fill an area using the gradient tool, it creates the gradient across the entire screen rather than being contained within the area I drew. The pattern and other fill tool appears within the shape I drew. But, the gradient tool does not. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

Cantisani

Re: Gradient Fill Question
Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 05:51:44 AM
Very little participation here.  :-\

It seems to work that way (I’m a newbie too and the lack of a manual doesn’t help), what you can do is lock the transparency of the layer and it will lay the gradient across all filled areas of that layer.

You can also make a selection beforehand and then use the gradient tool in that selection.

RobC

Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 12:04:34 AM
Thanks for the reply. When you say make a selection beforehand, do you mean select a layer before applying the gradient?

Cantisani

Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 01:36:39 AM
I mean with the selection tools so the gradient can be constrained to the area selected.

Cantisani

Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 01:47:17 AM
Another thing you can do is create a clipping mask and apply the gradient there. Look at the image below.
The layer below the gradient is the shirt layer of my character. So the clipping mask goes right above it and the gradient is constrained to the shirt area.

RobC

Reply #5 on: March 21, 2021, 09:49:59 PM
Thanks for the tips. I’ll be trying those. By the way, I really like your illustration!

Cantisani

Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 07:17:55 AM
Thank you 🙏.. I’m learning to paint

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #7 on: April 01, 2021, 05:28:34 PM
There is also "Lock Transparency" option in Gradient Fill tool options.

RobC

Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 12:26:50 AM
I responded earlier, but may not have posted correctly. I am wondering what the Lock Transparency does. I messed around with that for a while, but could not find the correct sequence to create a gradient fill inside a shape that I drew. Could you detail the sequence? I am working on a simple square that I drew with a 10-point basic brush. I can get the square shape to contain the gradient. But, am coming up blank trying to get it to fill in the middle while leaving the black square outline as is. I did figure out how to do it via the Select tool. But would like to understand the masking and Lock Transparency method as well.
Thanks

RobC

Reply #9 on: April 15, 2021, 11:19:52 AM
Ok. It’s been a struggle, but after multiple experiments, some things are finally starting to come together. Not completely connecting all the dots yet, but at least I can see the dots. I’m still not understanding the unlocking and locking transparency thing yet, and exactly how it works.