Author Topic: Some ideas!  (Read 2425 times)

ollyl

Some ideas!
on: March 02, 2021, 01:06:50 PM
Hello! Professional concept artist of some 10 or so years who’s grown fed up with Procreate’s recent direction. big fan of the ipad app and have been using it for work for a year or so now.

Some PS things I would love to see, in order of guessed difficulty to implement:
  • alt-click a layer to view only that layer
  • layer colours! great for organisation
  • PS’s D/X key functions: set black/white colours, and flip current colour to an alternative colour. Procreate has this too, but with current and previous selected colour, which is probably better than PS’s functionality.
  • Pressing numbers to set brush/layer opacity is fantastic, and a great surprise to find in Artstudio thank you. What would be just as great is being able to press shift+numbers to also set flow in the same way, like in PS.
  • The ctrl+alt+drag vertically for size is awesome, but I do miss it working vertically for opacity in PS, and horizontally for size.
  • Ctrl+alt+drag only works on brush, not eraser, so when expecting the eraser to change size it switches me back to brush
    A select by color range would be incredibly useful

Non-PS things I would love:
Probably too hard but absolutely the one thing I would love is a smaller UI - I feel the text and buttons could even be half their current size, and using this with the apple pencil I’m sure there could be a lot less element padding. Layers especially have quite a bit of vertical padding which looks very nice, but means a lot of scrolling. I love being able to resize UI in Paintstorm, as I only need to have a big colour wheel and a large amount of layers visible - but when I come back to Artstudio it feels kind of like those TV remotes made for old people with the huge buttons  ;D

Bugs:
the undo/redo buttons float above windows when I press the ctrl+z shortcut

Thank you for making files/shortcuts/etc not locked in like Procreate, features like ‘new file from clipboard’, for the smooth brush engine and all its PS-like features.

Olly
http://ollylawson.co.uk/
Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 03:42:29 AM by ollyl

Ben

Re: Some ideas!
Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 03:22:12 PM
I support the option for a smaller UI, i would really like that  :)

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 05:35:04 AM
- alt-click a layer to view only that layer - we have it ready for version 3.1 (Option tap or long press layers Eye icon)
- layers colors - in the future
- X shortcut - in version 3.1
- shift+numbers - ok, we will do it in 3.1
- ctrl+alt+drag horizontal - ok, we will do it in 3.1
- Ctrl+alt+drag is working fine with Eraser, give me more details how to reproduce this
- select by color - try Magic Wand tool with "Contiguous" switch disabled

lastaccess

Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 05:54:21 AM
I agree about ctrl+alt+drag. In Photoshop and Krita horizontal swipe is for size. Everybody get used to it and its confusing when you switch desktop and ipad apps.

I remember in Artstudio 2.3 horizontal swipe (at least for finger swipe) was for size but then for some reason it was changed to opacity. Would be good to have option to chose direction.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 06:00:54 AM
I changed that because up/down gesture is easier to use, and Size is changed more frequently.
Besides some apps (like Infinite Painter) is also using up/down to change size, and left/right to change opacity.

ollyl

Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 07:27:43 AM
Thank you! Much appreciate the quick reply.

The eraser ctrl+alt drag issue seems to be reproducable when alt is selected first of the two keys, as it switches to colourpicker and then back to a brush. So when I press them both at the same time, it switches my tool roughly half the times.

As for select colour range, that works however it would be really great to have a fuzzy selection slider like in Photoshop for a soft alpha selection. Like https://tutvid.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/color-range-complex-selections-photoshop-04-700x500.jpg

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 02:30:44 PM
Option-control - thanks, i finally reproduced that.

About Color range - i can add "Feather" parameter to Magic Wand tool, like i did in Lasso some time ago. What do you think? Will it work?