Author Topic: Brush size and color wheel  (Read 4744 times)

Endoraniendo

Brush size and color wheel
on: February 17, 2021, 02:32:28 AM
The color wheel and sometimes brush size are a bit laggy. This results in problem with precision when choosing colors and brush size. I can slow down when I do adjustments but when up and running and in the workflow the lag kicks me out of the flow.

BTW, ended my photoshop subscription today. I noticed I made a natural transition over to Artstudio as my main tool for painting. I started in photoshop but exported the work over to Artstudio for starters and suddenly I started to begin my sessions in ASP from start to finnished painting. I have used photoshop since 2011.  ???

IPad pro 2017 12.9. Latest ios. Apple pencil.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Re: Brush size and color wheel
Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 05:55:32 AM
Any idea when exactly it is laggy? Which iPad model and iOS version are you using?
Video may be helpful.

barel

Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 09:36:22 AM
I made a post about this earlier, didn’t notice it in the color wheel.
Mine slows down once in a while while moving the brush sliders, the app slows down and the slider moves in slow motion until it reaches the point where I actually moved it. Lasso tool also sometimes produces lines zig zagging at 90 degree angles like it is moving around square clusters of pixels. 2nd gen 12.9 ipad pro
It just happens occasionally, I haven’t noticed a pattern, it will happen once and then immediately work normally a second later.
Also, I think resetting the brush parameters by double tapping the sliders on the left of the screen is bugged in 3.0.18, every single brush “resets” to 100% flow, even the default ones. Size sometimes works, sometimes resets to a different value every time you do it.

Endoraniendo

Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 01:14:42 PM
The lag seems to appear after ASP been up an running for a short while. Both color wheel and brush size are doing this at the same time.
The lag in the color wheel is like it can't catch up with the pencil and rather jumps than running in sync with the pen.
Tha lag in the bruhs size is a bit different. When pen moves up and down it slows down to a crawl and I can sit and watch it moving after i moved the size control.

I've got an iPad Pro 2017 12.9 iPadOS 14.4

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 05:07:20 AM
Did it start happenning after last update (3.0.19)?

The lag seems to appear after ASP been up an running for a short while. Both color wheel and brush size are doing this at the same time.
The lag in the color wheel is like it can't catch up with the pencil and rather jumps than running in sync with the pen.
Tha lag in the bruhs size is a bit different. When pen moves up and down it slows down to a crawl and I can sit and watch it moving after i moved the size control.

I've got an iPad Pro 2017 12.9 iPadOS 14.4

Endoraniendo

Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 06:41:24 AM
I think it’s been there all the time I’ve been using the app, but I could be wrong. When I restart it works ok for a short while before it’s back. Sometimes it works ok again while painting and in the next adjustment the lag is back.

christox

Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 08:40:22 PM
Changing the brush size is lagging for me as well.

I doesn't happen very often. Maybe once every hour.

iPad Pro 10.5 (2017)
Newest iOS

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 04:29:10 AM
Thanks for your remarks, we will try to fix it asap.

cygaj

Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 02:28:58 PM
EDIT:
MY BAD! I'm sorry, didn't know it was a setting, but now I know I somehow got "snappable sliders" disabled. Apologies

--------------

Hello, weird thing started to happen that I noticed two days ago (?) so I think it might have something to do with the last update

When I try to pick a color the pointer (?) for it on the color wheel doesn't jump to where I tap with the pencil, it just starts to follow the pencil, but lagging behind it (if i tap and move pencil the color picker dot follows the path but starts from the point it was, not where the pencil tapped)
Because of that I can't just pick a color with a tap, I need to push the cursor all the way, it can't skip on it's own… Makes the program virtually unusable for me

I tried to restarting the program but it didn't help, unless there's a better way to restart the program other than swiping it up in the view with all the apps open. Restarting the ipad didn't help either

artstudio pro version 3.0.19 (607)
ipad pro 11 inch 2020
software version 14.4 (18D52)
Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 03:01:12 PM by cygaj

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #9 on: February 21, 2021, 07:32:11 AM
I understand. Before 3.0.19 Snappable Sliders option was supported only in normal sliders. Now they are also supported by Color sliders / Color Square / Color Wheel

Husketch

Reply #10 on: February 22, 2021, 06:58:50 AM
I experienced the same weird behaviour within the color wheel (circle) ..

To be honest it’s not ideal , within the colors window the circle should snap to the Apple Pencil location just like you’d expect it to.
This drag behaviour from a distance is quite strange.
Please revert it back to normal behaviour.

Thanks! :)

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #11 on: February 22, 2021, 07:10:25 AM
Slider behaviour should be consistent everywhere.
That's why we changed that in the latest version.

I experienced the same weird behaviour within the color wheel (circle) ..

To be honest it’s not ideal , within the colors window the circle should snap to the Apple Pencil location just like you’d expect it to.
This drag behaviour from a distance is quite strange.
Please revert it back to normal behaviour.

Thanks! :)

Husketch

Reply #12 on: February 22, 2021, 11:19:18 AM
Thanks for your response  :)
For sliders the new behaviour definitely makes perfect sense, and gives good precision.

But for the color square and circle mode, it’s not the ideal way..

Anyway, I trust your judgement but I hope you reconsider later.

Thanks!

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #13 on: February 23, 2021, 04:21:04 AM
We will probably make color square/wheel "normal" in the next minor update.

Endoraniendo

Reply #14 on: February 26, 2021, 12:44:36 PM
3.0.20 Now everything flows with brush size and color wheel. Very happy over here. :)