Author Topic: Suggestion: Lock Transparency + Eraser  (Read 1156 times)

Kardas

Suggestion: Lock Transparency + Eraser
on: January 21, 2021, 03:18:46 AM
Erase Locked transparency.

Hello LuckyClan team, liking the updates and fixes so far for ArtStudio!

One thing that seems to be dated though, is preventing "Locked Transparency" to be erased. Instead eraser acts like a color brush in that instance.

I know Photoshop does this, but i think at this point for artists its redundant holdover from the past that doesn't make much sense ( why is eraser painting? ). Procreate got rid of this redundancy and eraser erases pixels despite Alpha lock being on. Clip Studio Paint lets you erase locked transparency as well. Krita  Infinite Painter lets you erase locked alpha too. It's a genuine quality of life improvement, it follows the expected logic and is a click time saver. I don't think we should follow photoshops example on this feature since its a photo manipulation tool first and for someone who has to use it at work for illustration, it's very apparent how dated and how unresponsive to introducing basic painting sensibilities it is.

In this old thread https://www.luckyclan.com/forum/index.php?topic=540.msg1410#msg1410 there's a mention that it's to prevent accidental erasing, but since then there has been added a separate feature specifically for that already "Lock Pixels", it makes keeping this functionality rather redundant.  The need to erase the layer that has transparency enabled is constant (refining edges etc).

If i may illustrate how cumbersome it feels to work like this: It takes one tap to undo an accidental erase, but it takes 6! taps to disable lock transparency and then 6 again back to enable it just for a slight tweak. Example: [open layers panel], [select layer], [tap layer again to open options], [tap lock transparency toggle], [tap out to close options], [tap out to close layers]. I think updating the logic of the feature would go a long way for the average user going into the future.

Thank you again for your hard work and hope you had a happy new year.
Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 04:04:19 AM by Kardas