Author Topic: Good bye Artstudio Pro  (Read 6940 times)

megaboy1

Good bye Artstudio Pro
on: September 22, 2020, 11:09:09 AM
I'm a long user of this great app.

But today, I was shocked that they removed the tools on the left side.

The main reason I moved from Procreate was the ability to switch tools instantaneously with your left thumb. You can compare it with using keyboard shortcuts. Left hand is for shortcuts. And you shouldn't be forced to move that hand up and down. Just like your keyboard shortcuts. Left hand always stays. Only fingers move. Nobody wants to keep moving their hands up and down to select tools.

It's really a shame.
I'm switching to Procreate. At least they have a little square on the left to switch tools.

lastaccess

Re: Good bye Artstudio Pro
Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 12:01:51 PM
I’m not happy with position of size/opacity sliders like “procreate style” too, but overall I like new design more. Speaking of Procreate, that small square button is inconvenient to use. Procreate has few good benefits like auto shapes and better design/usability, but technically Arstudio Pro is much more professional tool.

I’d recommend Lucky clan to add old 2.4 version to appstore as a separate deprecated app for people who are enough with that functionality and don’t need new design.

barel

Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 01:20:26 PM
Speaking of Procreate, that small square button is inconvenient to use.
I disagree, I feel the square button set to color pick is the best solution for quick color picking in any app, it’s much quicker than holding and it makes it impossible to accidentally pick colors.
As for advantages of procreate, I think it saving every brush stroke to the file as it is made is the biggest advantage over artstudio, where saving is intrusive, pauses the app and relying on periodic auto saving leaves room for loss of work when the app crashes or ios shuts it down because you switched to another app for 10 seconds.

lastaccess

Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 02:11:21 PM
Speaking of Procreate, that small square button is inconvenient to use.
I disagree, I feel the square button set to color pick is the best solution for quick color picking in any app, it’s much quicker than holding and it makes it impossible to accidentally pick colors.
As for advantages of procreate, I think it saving every brush stroke to the file as it is made is the biggest advantage over artstudio, where saving is intrusive, pauses the app and relying on periodic auto saving leaves room for loss of work when the app crashes or ios shuts it down because you switched to another app for 10 seconds.

You can’t use this small button without looking at it. At least I can’t. Always leads to accidental touches of brush size or opacity slider.
Saving in Procreate is better then in Artstudio Pro, yes. But it leads to two serious app restrictions:
1. Layers limitation
2. You can’t work right into iCloud.
Automatic backups in iCloud in Arstudio is worth few seconds of file saving imho.

I use both apps. But I like where Artstudio goes with design and usability improving, so I want to move to Artstudio competely. One feature of Procreate I miss in Artstudio Pro is it counts how many time I worked on illustration.
Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 02:56:56 PM by lastaccess

barel

Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 03:01:22 PM
Artstudio is definitely far more competently built, it’s just that procreate has very good ipad-centric features, though v3 did a lot to marginalise that.
Are you sure that the layer limit is the result of the saving?

lastaccess

Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 03:52:19 PM
Artstudio is definitely far more competently built, it’s just that procreate has very good ipad-centric features, though v3 did a lot to marginalise that.
Are you sure that the layer limit is the result of the saving?

Of course I don’t know technical details. It is just my guessing that all these things are just connected with each other.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 06:47:35 PM
Let me explain why saving in Artstudio is slower. It is the iCloud support, or generally iOS document architecture necessary to make full iCloud integration. One of the things we had to make is generating document preview (and also  thumbnail) in every save. So even if only one layer was modified since last autosave, app must generate and save the full res preview (in png or jpg) and smaller thumbnail, which is unfortunately slow process.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 06:53:39 PM
Sorry for that, but this change was necessary to make more space for canvas.
If you constanly switch between Paint and Eraser, maybe you could configure your finger as Eraser?

I'm a long user of this great app.

But today, I was shocked that they removed the tools on the left side.

The main reason I moved from Procreate was the ability to switch tools instantaneously with your left thumb. You can compare it with using keyboard shortcuts. Left hand is for shortcuts. And you shouldn't be forced to move that hand up and down. Just like your keyboard shortcuts. Left hand always stays. Only fingers move. Nobody wants to keep moving their hands up and down to select tools.

It's really a shame.
I'm switching to Procreate. At least they have a little square on the left to switch tools.

megaboy1

Reply #8 on: September 23, 2020, 08:11:19 AM
If you constanly switch between Paint and Eraser, maybe you could configure your finger as Eraser?

That is the worst response.
I thought you guys were making a professional app for real professionals, not for finger painters.

UndercoverCroc

Reply #9 on: September 23, 2020, 08:23:07 AM

That is the worst response.
I thought you guys were making a professional app for real professionals, not for finger painters.

You should talk to Iris Scott haha.

Here's a solution to your issue: it really doesn't matter where the tools are placed as long as you have the Quick Menu. Add whatever tool you like to it- then activate it with a finger touch and select with the pencil.

It's a far quicker process than actually moving your hand to the top, bottom, left or right of the screen. The Quick Menu to me is an invaluable time saver.

megaboy1

Reply #10 on: September 23, 2020, 08:55:26 AM

Here's a solution to your issue: it really doesn't matter where the tools are placed as long as you have the Quick Menu.

Not really. You are comparing <Swipe + Select> to <One thumb touch>
If you are a real pro, you never want to change your drawing hand position to Swipe, Select, all that extra move.

lastaccess

Reply #11 on: September 23, 2020, 08:58:47 AM

Here's a solution to your issue: it really doesn't matter where the tools are placed as long as you have the Quick Menu.

If you are a real pro, you never want to change your drawing hand position to Swipe, Select, all that extra move.

All people are different and different pro artists have different habits and work flows) that’s why total customization is really good thing in art apps.

UndercoverCroc

Reply #12 on: September 23, 2020, 11:39:38 AM

I've been working professionally as a digital artist for over 10 years so thank you for that.

I'm not saying swipe, Artstudio is incredibly customisable- I bring up the Quick Menu with a finger tap. My hand stays in one position- I use my index finger to quickly bring up the menu, select something with either the pencil or a tap- and get straight back to it.

Because my hand stays in the same area- it's quicker than moving even if it is more taps. Here is a video for you: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t9l7bwnqrnlwfi6/IMG_4577.mp4?dl=0

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #13 on: September 23, 2020, 12:42:58 PM

I've been working professionally as a digital artist for over 10 years so thank you for that.

I'm not saying swipe, Artstudio is incredibly customisable- I bring up the Quick Menu with a finger tap. My hand stays in one position- I use my index finger to quickly bring up the menu, select something with either the pencil or a tap- and get straight back to it.

Because my hand stays in the same area- it's quicker than moving even if it is more taps. Here is a video for you: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t9l7bwnqrnlwfi6/IMG_4577.mp4?dl=0

I noticed you are using Finger activated Quick Menu, so you don’t even have to tap 2 times.
You can touch down, move over button, touch up.

lastaccess

Reply #14 on: September 23, 2020, 01:18:30 PM
I have Erase Blending in top right corner of Quickmenu too :)

2 Lucky Clan:

Btw, yesterday I turned on erase blending, then stop drawing. When I came back and started drawing again I couldn’t understand why I can’t draw over one block of colors. I spent several minutes to check/uncheck all layers to understand where this color block that prevents drawing is. And after that I just realized that erase blending is on.

We definitely need visual indicator on Brush icon that erase blending is activated. Also, color picking should deactivate erase blending mode as it works when you color pick on regular eraser.