Author Topic: Some UI suggestions for Beta  (Read 13327 times)

lastaccess

Some UI suggestions for Beta
on: August 12, 2020, 08:07:18 AM
Some suggestions about UI tweaks. 2 pictures: before and after. Imho, that makes visual aesthetics better and gives us more space.

And again speaking about color picking by double tap on apple pencil 2 gen. Color picking in full screen mode works better. I think these color swatches showing on the left side slow the picker work. Also, color picking by double tap in current 2.4 version works significantly faster then in 3.0. In stable version there is no lags at all. In beta its nightmare to work with it, seriosly. Hope this app would be perfect one day. Best wishes.
Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 09:54:36 AM by lastaccess

Ben

Re: Some UI suggestions for Beta
Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 06:28:09 AM
I have made similar suggestions in another post, space is definitely not used well. There’s a lot of work to be done for the interface, that should be the priority after 3.0 , although the current beta is not much of an improvement either and many parts actually worse than before. Features are great, but Interface was always the weakness of Artstudio  :'(
Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 06:36:55 AM by Sasha

lastaccess

Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 08:27:56 AM
I agree. All 3.0 version is about design, there are not that much new functions. And that is right direction. Artstudio in aspects of functionality is much better then Procreate. But Procreate is much more popular because of its clean design.

And some changes are worth then current version. I still can’t get used to new transform. Buttons scattered in 3 different places.

Ben

Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 09:11:22 AM
Right, the new transform interface (and every other with the same principle) is crazy. They removed important functions into single button on the left and made them hard to access, while leaving unnecessary buttons on the screen. Good to see I am not the only one criticizing these things. Lucky clan clearly needs help with the interface.

lastaccess

Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 06:32:52 AM
The more I draw in 3.0 version, the more I feel that 2.4 version is more comfortable.

1. Nine slots Quickmenu is better for me. Buttons are big and you do actions quicker, while you spend time to choose small buttons in new version of Quickmenu. Nine slots is enough for me to have the most used shortcuts on it.
2. Left bar with size ond opacity bar is inconvenient. It's much easier to operate it with Apple pencil when its in the bottom. It would be perfect in the top bar. As I can see in many videos of professional artists who use Procreate (it has same left bar for size/opacity), they don't use their left hand to operate with it, prefer touches with Apple pencil.
3. I wrote about scaterring of buttons in transform tool and some other tools in 3.0 version. In 2.4 version it looks much better.

What I like about 3.0?
1. Customizable tool buttons in the top of screen.
2. Undocked color and layers windows. Possibility to open them both at the same time. But they need to be refurbished in terms of cutting of unnecesary information, which will lead to more free space.

lastaccess

Reply #5 on: September 07, 2020, 09:58:05 AM
Good job, refined layers panel same width as color panel is cleaner and good looking. Still, I suggest to make brush size/opacity bar floating too. Here on screenshot I explain why it matters.

Also, there is small inconvenience atm, when you try to choose color swatches after round color box, color panel becomes too long. I’d suggested to make fixed size for all possible modes (round, square, swatches and number).

Thanks for your work.

lastaccess

Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 07:09:14 AM
And a few more suggestions.
1. You can see on screenshot, that opening of the main menu ruins all panel placing, moving it down. This main menu can be on top of all to prevent it.
2. Would be good to make possible to hide categories of brushes (i use brushes only from my own category). And make possible to make window possible a bit shorter. Now you can make it only longer.
Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 07:13:40 AM by lastaccess

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #7 on: September 08, 2020, 10:08:36 AM
Thanks for all your suggestions. We implemented some of the, the other will be considered in version 3.1.

barel

Reply #8 on: September 10, 2020, 04:59:50 AM
I made a feedback report on the beta, but I am not sure I communicated my thoughts clearly, so I’ll post here too.

First of all, great work on the new version, the app is better than ever, but I have one issue with the new UI in that it slows down tool switching, at least for me.
Namely, now that the pencil tool is no longer a tool, but an option for the paint tool, instead of simply selecting either tool to switch between different brushes and tools, now I need to open the brush panel, select the brush, open the menu, toggle the hard edges mode, then do the same again to switch to the other. It adds unnecessary steps, yet doesn’t really do anything of benefit as far as I can tell. It’s one less icon in the toolbar, but it means people need to go through extra menus to use it and then go through those menus again not to use it, and the problem is increased by an order of magnitude if they use the mode with a different brush and switch back and forth.
Similarly, the auto clean/load toggles that have been removed from the quick access menu (the “...” button) when using the wet brush tool mean that people now need to go through multiple menus to get to them.

Husketch

Reply #9 on: September 10, 2020, 06:54:35 AM
Some UI issues I have with ArtStudio:

1- sliders instead of number boxes. Right now you must tap on the number to get the sliders, I think it’s much more intuitive and pleasing to the users if there is a slider that is ready to use (a number box can be next to it for example).

I feel this is important especially in the brush settings, right now the brush editing window doesn’t look very friendly with huge text areas and number boxes ...

2- Elasitfy : it would be awesome if you don’t need to click 3 times to change the Elastify mode.... these modes should be one tap away . Not 3 .

Thanks for all the great work on V3 so far!

lastaccess

Reply #10 on: September 10, 2020, 10:04:33 AM
now that the pencil tool is no longer a tool, but an option for the paint tool, instead of simply selecting either tool to switch between different brushes and tools, now I need to open the brush panel, select the brush, open the menu, toggle the hard edges mode, then do the same again to switch to the other. It adds unnecessary steps, yet doesn’t really do anything of benefit as far as I can tell.

You can put your brushes to favorite presets. It remembers hard edge option there.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #11 on: September 10, 2020, 02:40:55 PM
Hard Edge - i’m still not sure if it should be tool option or brush option...

Elastify modes available on one tap - i agree, we will do it asap

Slider instead of boxes - there is no space, in some cases sliders would be very small. But i saw nice new Textfield control in ios 14, but we will use it....

lastaccess

Reply #12 on: September 10, 2020, 03:14:13 PM
There is bug after previous version that was yesterday. Today’s last version still has this bug.

If one or two panels (layers, colors) are opened, brushes panel can’t be opened. You need to close all panels and then you can open only one panel at once only.

Also, if you tap on layer or color panels icon, they open. Tap again on icon, they close. If you tap on brush panel icon, you can’t close it by tapping icon again, you need to tap on [ x] on brush panel, which feels unconsistent.
Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 04:14:37 PM by lastaccess

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #13 on: September 11, 2020, 02:44:15 PM
Both fixed in todays beta.

I also added segment control to quickly change mode in Elastify

lastaccess

Reply #14 on: September 11, 2020, 05:17:29 PM
1. Orange looks good.
2. Transform looks good.
3. Elastify looks good.

Is it possible to make fixed height for color panel modes? Atm, it makes mess for perfectionists :)