Author Topic: Is ArtStudio Pro a TOY or PROFESSIONAL app?  (Read 8291 times)

Andych56

Is ArtStudio Pro a TOY or PROFESSIONAL app?
on: March 09, 2019, 12:49:05 AM
As Adobe's release of their professional software on the iPad this year, the same question comes to mind. Will Lucky Clan step up and join the big boys?
ASP is a great and well designed app for users on the iPad and ONLY Mac users. That's pretty much limitied your potential users/sales.

I work in the film and television industry and it's mostly PC's that are used for high end VFX work. It's only the design department for TV that is on Macs.
Photoshop is the only paint/photo app that's used for the 2D and 3D workflow. This needs to change especially for the freelance artist having to buy their own licenses!
Posthouses on large film work using ASP would only bring huge credibility to the company and the software. Really there is only 1 thing that needs to happen for this to come about.
Build a Windows version that is 8bit and above (32bit)
There are so many painting apps out there that have both MAC and PC software to offer.
I would jump at the chance to drop PS in a production environment.
ASP is the closest thing out there to Photoshop, so there's no real learning curve for artists to do. Stealing the market away from Adobe would not only help so many companies and individuals, but it would also put an end to their subscription fueled by greed.
Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 05:28:22 PM by Andych56

postdes

Re: Is ArtStudio Pro a TOY or PROFESSIONAL app?
Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 12:42:58 PM
Your post title is quite offensive to the developer. I don't know why you can not ask a friendly question. If this is an app you consider using, why would you call it a toy??

Anyway, ASP certainly is not a toy, it is a professional art app, especially for drawing and painting, with very good editing functions. I don't believe it is a full replacement for photoshop, but why would/should it be? It is dead cheap in comparison but offers a lot of bang for the buck if you love drawing and painting in photoshop, but don't need all the photo-editing functions, 3d, plugins, CMYK, RAW editing etc...
ASP has build an amazing iOS app, and the small development team are very responsive and bring new features often. Branching out to another platform requires a LOT of work and resources being devoted to this. Rather than being a Jack of all trades and trying to please everyone, I think it would be better to improve the App for current platforms.

If you need a cheaper alternative to this for PC, you could look at affinity photo or designer. If you need drawing and traditional animation, clip studio paint would be another choice.

Andych56

Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 08:21:06 PM
Your post title is quite offensive to the developer. I don't know why you can not ask a friendly question. If this is an app you consider using, why would you call it a toy??

Anyway, ASP certainly is not a toy, it is a professional art app, especially for drawing and painting, with very good editing functions. I don't believe it is a full replacement for photoshop, but why would/should it be? It is dead cheap in comparison but offers a lot of bang for the buck if you love drawing and painting in photoshop, but don't need all the photo-editing functions, 3d, plugins, CMYK, RAW editing etc...
ASP has build an amazing iOS app, and the small development team are very responsive and bring new features often. Branching out to another platform requires a LOT of work and resources being devoted to this. Rather than being a Jack of all trades and trying to please everyone, I think it would be better to improve the App for current platforms.

If you need a cheaper alternative to this for PC, you could look at affinity photo or designer. If you need drawing and traditional animation, clip studio paint would be another choice.

Firstly, I don't feel the need to respond as my post was not directed at you. However, the features you mentioned (especial the RAW editing) that aren't included in ASP are what adds to make it a professional app for artists and photographers. It's not just the tools (editing functions) in it that makes it a professionals choice. Just about every other app out there has these tools and some are geared for beginners. Procreate, I would consider a toy which has the same functions and isn't a professional app. Some (remote) professional concept artists use it on the go but still prefer their workflow in PS, especially when handing in their files at the end of the day.
Clip studio is what inspired me to write my post as it's been written for all 3 platforms (which seems to be the norm nowadays) Affinity Photo and designer (absolute junk) are written for the 3 platforms also.
My point was to have Luck Clan consider building that third platform to help artists on the PC and escape the Adobe stronghold.
I've requested many many times that ASP be made 16bit and higher so it can be always used professionally. Some high end print jobs require 16bit files. In my industry 16bit is the minimum requirement for delivery unless in some case its just a scratch concept piece. 16bit alpha channels are mostly used with texturing and compositing so there's a certain standard that's required in my industry, which ASP is currently unable to achieve. From my understanding Clip Studio is 16bit and above, this is the same for the Affinity programs.
I would like to have the option to stay in ASP for the import and export of my files rather than having to subscribe to Adobe to use PS on my iPad.
My suggestion to you would be to read more than just the title to a post before jumping in to play the protective big sister, or just keep scrolling.

Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 08:33:58 PM by Andych56

postdes

Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 04:58:25 AM
I don't believe ASP is a photo editor, but mainly a drawing app, so what is the use of a RAW editor. You seem to want Lucky Clan to make an cheap Photoshop clone, that has all the features, but at a minimal price. I do not think this is possible. Photoshop is huge and complicated, and caters to many workflows, so if you only need the photo editing features, there are alternatives, if you want to paint, there are alternatives, if you want 3d, there are alternatives. But if you want it all, you have to pay, even if you don't like the price.

Regarding your approach: If you want to offend me and the developer go ahead, but I still believe a friendly exchange between users and developers is much more helpful than you insulting people and calling them names. I read your post, but if your think calling the app a toy and non-professional just because it is not PS, is just poor form. But then again you also call Affinity junk, so what do you know. These are developers that try to create alternatives for creatives. You might not like their approach or their programs, but insulting them will not help anyone.

Andych56

Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 05:47:27 AM
I don't believe ASP is a photo editor, but mainly a drawing app, so what is the use of a RAW editor. You seem to want Lucky Clan to make an cheap Photoshop clone, that has all the features, but at a minimal price. I do not think this is possible. Photoshop is huge and complicated, and caters to many workflows, so if you only need the photo editing features, there are alternatives, if you want to paint, there are alternatives, if you want 3d, there are alternatives. But if you want it all, you have to pay, even if you don't like the price.

Regarding your approach: If you want to offend me and the developer go ahead, but I still believe a friendly exchange between users and developers is much more helpful than you insulting people and calling them names. I read your post, but if your think calling the app a toy and non-professional just because it is not PS, is just poor form. But then again you also call Affinity junk, so what do you know. These are developers that try to create alternatives for creatives. You might not like their approach or their programs, but insulting them will not help anyone.
Once again you didn't read my post. I'm not asking for everything nor am I asking for a cheap alternative. I'm very happy to pay much more as long as it's not a subscription. Asking for a 16bit Windows version isn't being unreasonable. ASP is a great and I stand behind it even though its a hobbyist app at the moment which probably suits you fine at this stage. PS is the standard app and every other app out there has copied their features from it. Most suggestions to improve these are features taken from PS so to feel familiar in their workflow.
Basically, all apps are a cheap PS copy anyway. Why else are they laid out the same with export options to save PSD's, use PS brushes and so on?
I totally appreciate everything the developers are doing to improve ASP. Id just love to see them excel and open up their market to the PC uses.
I'm sure they can let me know If I was out of line.
It seems to me it was you that was offended not them which is why I gave you the protective big sister remark.
I'm done explaining myself to you.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 06:57:43 AM
Let me give my vision.
Here in Lucky Clan we usually work on new features, bug fixes, improvements etc.

But we also have a long term plans. And Windows version is on the list. However it is very hard to implement. Currently it would require to rewrite everything to C++ language (Artstudio is written in objc). But we believe it will be soon possible to use Swift to write Windows apps - i mean engine in Swift, and interface in C#. Maybe we will start doing some researches next year...

Currently Lucky Clan is only 3-persons team with experience in Swift and Objc, are we are all developing iOS/Mac version. Starting new big enterprise would need to hire more developers, or move 1-2 from iOS/Mac projects. We cannot do it now, we have too many ideas that are waiting for implementation in Artstudio to make it better.
Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 07:05:29 AM by Lucky Clan

gregg2g

• Retired
Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 08:53:09 AM
You are doing a great job for the number of resources you have. Keep up the good work.
iMac 27 3.1 GHz 32 GB DDR 4 Mac OS  Monterey 12.6, XP-Pen 24 Pro, ArtStudioPro latest version

Andych56

Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 08:08:55 PM
Thank you for sharing your vision on your future developments.
I can appreciate all the hard work that goes into building such a program and I'm happy to hear there's a Windows version on the horizon.
I'm sure many PC users on this forum would be glad to hear this as well.

Does this also mean by making ASP capable of handling 16bit and above files it is a total rewrite/rebuild?
If not, this would open the app up to more professional users by make the upgrade.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 08:55:10 AM
All GPUs used in iPhones, iPads and Mac support 16-bit quality, so adding that in Artstudio is not too hard.
Artstudio even already uses it in drawing buffer for better Smudge and Airbrushing.
I think it will be added this year.

Andych56

Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 04:50:30 PM
Fantastic, that would definitely be a huge benefit to professionals on the go.