Author Topic: Beta 2.1 Build 246  (Read 3137 times)

postdes

Beta 2.1 Build 246
on: February 01, 2019, 03:41:24 PM
Thanks so much for the new beta. The rate of development of this app is phenomenal!

The bugs from the previous beta with text and drawing modes are resolved. The new smoothing mode is much better, far less mechanical to draw with, much more fun to draw! By adding the erase blend mode to the quick menu this is much easier to switch, which is great.

I did not expect reference layers to be implemented this quickly. I tried it with the fill tool and it works very well. I only missed an easier way to make a layer a reference layer. The only way in found it was via the top menu layer > lock/reference > reference. I think it also should be accessible from the layers popup, in the same place where you set masking etc.

The addition of the erase and behind blend mode to the fill tool is nice. The behind blend mode works best when the tool is not set to contiguous. One bug I found though is these only work when "all layers" is selected. When I set it to "current layer" it fills with the selected color normally.

One bug I found is that the three finger gesture did not work, neither the 3-finger swipe nor the 3-finger tap.
I did find myself accidentally triggering an iOS zoom window mode which I did not know exists?  I suspected some conflict with accessibility settings, and indeed, when I disabled the zoom option, the gesture worked as before. I do not remember ever changing anything to the accessibility settings, so I am not sure why this is a problem now?

All in all fantastic work, thanks so much!!

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Re: Beta 2.1 Build 246
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 05:35:29 AM
You can set Teference layer also by tapping Gear icon in Layers popover.

I cannot reproduce problem with behind mode and ‚current layer’ blend mode, could you me more details?

3-finger gestures - it seems you configured them in iOS setting, which overwrites Artstudio settings.

postdes

Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 08:52:39 AM
Thanls for your reply.

It does have to do with the accessibilty zoom function, as when I switch it on, the three finger gestures do not work in procreate too. Only thing I don't know, is why the setting changed, as I cannot remember ever doing anything with these settings :-\ :-\

About the fill tool: I think I must have been doing something weird with the layers or something, as everything seems to be working OK now.

Some little thing could be useful to add: I would appreciate keyboard shortcut for switching to the erase blend mode. I switch using the on screen menu, but when I use a keyboard, this would be very fast. In Clip Studio I use this all the time. I also use the CMD-D shortcut a lot to deselect, but when not using a keyboard I would like a quicker way to deselect, preferebly with a little contextual button. I know I can double click the selection tool button, but after that I have to reselect the tool I was using, so that is not the best way for me. I have deselect in the quick menu, which is OK for now.

I would like to say as well that I love the fact that Artstudio pro has the feature to temporarily switch tools by keeping the keyboard button pressed. I love this feature in Clip Studio and was so glad it worked in Artstudio too. It is a bit of a hidden gem, but it really speeds up workflow! Thanks! :D

About the cog wheel: I never used it actually, but now I know its there its there its much better.

Nighternet

Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 02:56:59 AM
Can you explain what does the reference layer do?

postdes

Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 03:29:43 AM
A reference layer is mostly used for coloring comics and manga: First the line art is drawn on a separate layer. Then this layer is set as a reference layer and a layer below is created. Using the fill bucket set to reference it will always take the line-art as a base for the fill. So it is quick and easy to create flats, which can then be used for further coloring. The new expand option in the fill tool (beta) makes sure it expand the fill by a set amount of pixels, so the fill goes under the line art and no white edges occur in printing