Author Topic: Suggestions and a cry for an on screen alt button  (Read 5053 times)

Dr.moth

Suggestions and a cry for an on screen alt button
on: June 28, 2018, 08:12:07 AM
I absolutely love this program but in a lot of ways it is not very intuitive
However I don’t care about that I only care about an On screen EYEDROPPER button as that would make painting things much faster (even when the touch and hold to eyedropper delay is set to 0.0s it is still slower than a button)
I also care about how the adjustment menus overlap the painting and I need to make the painting very small to see anything.
And I have a 13 inch ipad I assume this is much worse for anyone with a 2018 ipad or a 10.5 inch one.
Also is it possible to add an option where I can make the interface not grey ?
It makes the screen sort of claustrophobic and it’s not really a pretty color
A white interface with blue buttons would be much more welcoming in my opinion.
A grey interface with a grey backdrop is for some reason depressing to me..
i’m Sorry if this seems nit picky but colors do affect how pleasant one’s experience is.
But I am eternally thankful for this program and to lucky clan.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Re: Suggestions and a cry for an on screen alt button
Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 03:14:57 AM
Eyedropper - you can activate Eyedropper tool with icon in left toolbar. I'm considering Eyedropper icon in fullscreen as well

Overlapping filter/adjustment view - i agree, i will consider moving it to the right edge (when ipad is in horizontal orientation).

Grey interface - i agree as well, i will soon make the background darker and the icons brighter.

Dr.moth

Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 10:30:50 AM
thank you so much for your reply :)

Husketch

Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 03:52:15 AM
Agree about the grey interface:)
Yes a darker version with brighter icons will make it look better -Affinity Photo or Procreate have good interface colors

Amix

Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 01:57:46 PM
Hi. It would be much better if that Color Picker works like Alt button, press and hold. Like in Procreate. Here you need to press Picker Tool, pick a color, and press the Brush Tool again. It's too slow if you are a painter, even if you choose to pick colors with your finger. Or maybe to add some kind of optional floating modifier keys bar, could be the best solution, like in Astropad.

Simon Bromfield

Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 05:49:01 PM
I agree with Dr.moth. The light grey feels a bit claustrophobic and not as elegant in comparison to Procreate or Affinity Designer. It’s like comparing an elderly’s dusty-old, funeral themed artstudio, centred on dead wildlife and factory pollution, to a dark and “professional” artstudio. The greatest and most flexible painting app nonetheless, but the presentation needs improvement for greater first impressions for artists new to the app.

pluskid

Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 09:20:05 PM
+1 for the Alt-key style eye dropper. The current way of choosing the eye dropper, pick the color, and tap to choose the brush, is too slow to work with especially when you are a painter and sample the surrounding color a lot to mix. The long-pressing is also not ideal as there is no good trade-off on the time value that is both not making you wait to long and not accidentally trigger a lot.

Nighternet

Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 04:15:57 AM
You don't need ALT key for eyedropper, because you can use your other hand's finger to pick up the color. But a programmable ALT key would be a blessing. Most useful to alternate between two most used brushes pairs: paint/erase, lighten/darken, erase/smudge, etc.

Andych56

Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 05:03:27 PM
I absolutely love this program but in a lot of ways it is not very intuitive
However I don’t care about that I only care about an On screen EYEDROPPER button as that would make painting things much faster (even when the touch and hold to eyedropper delay is set to 0.0s it is still slower than a button)
I also care about how the adjustment menus overlap the painting and I need to make the painting very small to see anything.
And I have a 13 inch ipad I assume this is much worse for anyone with a 2018 ipad or a 10.5 inch one.
Also is it possible to add an option where I can make the interface not grey ?
It makes the screen sort of claustrophobic and it’s not really a pretty color
A white interface with blue buttons would be much more welcoming in my opinion.
A grey interface with a grey backdrop is for some reason depressing to me..
i’m Sorry if this seems nit picky but colors do affect how pleasant one’s experience is.
But I am eternally thankful for this program and to lucky clan.

I suggested something similar a little while back after using a 3D sculpting app that has side buttons for different functions.
At the end of the clip I made a mock up of how it could work in ASP.

https://youtu.be/rkeQlEAT4i4

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 05:19:11 PM
Nice video and music :)
Alt-key button is planned for the future versions. But your solution doens't look good. 4 more buttons in bottom toolbar is not a good idea, sorry.

Andych56

Reply #10 on: December 27, 2018, 05:41:30 PM
Nice video and music :)
Alt-key button is planned for the future versions. But your solution doens't look good. 4 more buttons in bottom toolbar is not a good idea, sorry.
Yes maybe 4 buttons is too many.
If the new ALT - kEY button is user defined that would be great.
For .eg switching it to become the spacebar on the keyboard to pan around the image, the as it is in Photoshop?