Author Topic: iOS - Sticky color editor  (Read 3366 times)

MikeWest

iOS - Sticky color editor
on: November 26, 2018, 01:56:19 PM
Hi - first off, a massive THANK YOU for such a powerful app for the iPad pro. It took about a day to win me over despite two years of familiarity with other big apps. The capable brush engine and smooth experience with large canvases is something I've really missed.

My request is ergonomic in nature rather than cosmetic or feature-dependent. Minimizing the amount of clicking and hand movement for regular functions is really important to ensure a comfortable experience, which is the only real weak area of the app in its current state that I can tell.

The vertical color sliders are not without usefulness, but clicking and dragging three times to adjust a brush color in all three dimensions feels clumsy and unintuitive, let alone having to manually open the full color editor each time. I think the option to stick the square color map somewhere on the screen, especially in full screen mode, would be a negligible screen estate compromise for a big ergonomic payoff. A lot of painting involves repeatedly nudging the colors as you go along, and during long hours those extra clicks add up, a nuisance at best and contributing to the risk of RSI at worst.

Thank you for your consideration, and please... Don't stop working on this amazing app, it's a real joy for this wannabe artist!
Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 06:24:50 PM by MikeWest

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Re: iOS - Sticky color editor
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 05:18:09 AM
Similar feature was requested many times. We will probably do it next year.
It is always a choice between clean interface and number of actions available with a single tap.

gregg2g

• Retired
Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 08:59:30 AM
I agree. The way to pick a color right now is laborsome. There has to be a better way.
iMac 27 3.1 GHz 32 GB DDR 4 Mac OS  Monterey 12.6, XP-Pen 24 Pro, ArtStudioPro latest version

Nighternet

Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 05:01:01 PM
C'mon, three vertical palettes today is the best, most natural and most economic way of selecting the right color. We've waited for it for long time. If you want to turn an existing art into a palette, duplicate it, max pixelate, shrink and move it to the corner. This way you'll have what you want: a permanent palette.

MikeWest

Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 06:13:04 AM
Similar feature was requested many times. We will probably do it next year.
It is always a choice between clean interface and number of actions available with a single tap.

Thank you, I'll try to be patient!  ;D

C'mon, three vertical palettes today is the best, most natural and most economic way of selecting the right color. We've waited for it for long time. If you want to turn an existing art into a palette, duplicate it, max pixelate, shrink and move it to the corner. This way you'll have what you want: a permanent palette.

How is it economic? I'll admit that it's precise, but the separate sliders fragments and compartmentalizes the color space. So the tendency is that you change one dimension but not the others. When I want to mimic the effect of saturated light on an object, I don't just want to saturate the selected value, I want to increase the value and shift the hue towards the color of the light. Having to stop to drag all sliders hampers the ability to maintain life and vibrancy while painting fluidly.

Unless you are making simplistic pieces, there is no point abiding by a palette beyond an initial stage as you cannot mix colors naturally in a digital environment like Artstudio. The most common way to work for professionals is to move vertically and laterally on the color map used in pretty much every art program out there, nudging in various directions to get the hues you want and maintaining variety. I love the option to use RGB and LAB sliders but they're not really fluid and intuitive "workhorse" tools in the way a square (or my favorite, triangle) color map is.