Author Topic: How to use ‘vanilla’ brush settings?  (Read 2448 times)

alder

How to use ‘vanilla’ brush settings?
on: September 14, 2018, 08:21:26 AM
Hey! Perhaps I’m misunderstanding something about how the app works so if someone can tell me, I’d be grateful.

I imported a bunch of brushes to use in ASP but I don’t think they look the same in ASP compared to when used in an Adobe program. I understand that the ‘pencil’ and ‘wet brush’ settings will change the way things work, but is the ‘brush’ setting supposed to do that, too?

I’m also finding that, weirdly, brushes draw totally different lines when I’m using my Apple Pencil as opposed to my finger. I don’t want to lose the precision and feel of using the Pencil though.

Here’s some colour-coded examples of what I mean - the differences are kinda subtle, but it’s bothering me:

Is there something I am supposed to be doing to get brushes working in their ‘vanilla’ settings, unaltered by anything ASP is doing? As it is, they all end up feeling kind of same-y.

Thanks!

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Re: How to use ‘vanilla’ brush settings?
Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 08:53:46 AM
Strokes generated with Pencil and Finger are difference because Pencil has sensors to measure Sensitivity and Tilt.
Finger sends only the location, so app assumes it is using max pressure.
Besides in Brush Editor in Dynamics section you can set different settings for Pencil and Finger.

On iPhones with 3D Touch you can use finger pressure - you have to enable "Simulate Stylues" in Artstudio > Preferences.

About comparing Artstudio strokes to Photoshop - apps have different engines and some brush settings are missing, some other are re-calculated, so there are some smaller or bigger differencies in painted strokes.

alder

Re: How to use ‘vanilla’ brush settings?
Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 02:40:22 AM
Ah, that all makes sense - thanks for your reply!