Author Topic: Artstudio 4.1 - Layer panel: Some suggestions and a visual bug  (Read 2283 times)

RHiNO

1 - What do you think of one "special layer" to define the color of the background?

Every new document already has 2 layers:
Layer 2 - The default selected layer
Layer1 - filled automatically with white

I know we can select the bottom layer, then click the bucket fill, then select the color, then click on the image to change the "background layer color", then click on another layer, then select another color, then click on the brush tool,  but that's a lot of steps to define a background color and keep drawing

Sketchbook, clip studio paint, and procreate, all of them have this "special layer" (which is converted into a regular flat layer when we export to psd for example). With one click on this special layer, the color wheel is opened and with another click, we define the color - Done. Aside from gains in speed and simplicity, maybe this "special layer" can use less memory compared to a regular layer pre-filled with color, allowing one extra layer in the iPad?

2 - Visual bug: When we use the light theme, the transparent color represented in the layer thumbnail background is too dark, maybe the color representing the "transparent" in the thumbnail can use the same tone of gray of the interface? A light gray thumbnail background when we use the light theme and a dark gray thumbnail background when we use the dark theme?

3 - We need an option to "clear" a layer, keeping the name, blending mode, and opacity, and just deleting everything inside the layer, it's faster than deleting the layer, creating another one, renaming it, and readjusting the blending mode/opacity. Maybe a "clear layer" option in the lateral menu, opened when we "click" the layer, or maybe a "clear" button when we swipe left the layer? Obviously, we need the "clear layer" in the drop-down layer menu as well, not to mention, the ability to put this "clear layer" in the quick menu too if someone needs it. Maybe this "clear layer" can be mapped to a special gesture too? That "3 fingers right and left gesture" in procreate is interesting

4 - We can use a switch in the layer panel to "compact" the layer panel (showing only big thumbnails) for a workflow where we don't need to see the names of the layers. All the advanced options like opacity, blending and the strip of icons at the base of the layer panel, can be accessed with a click on the thumbnail when we are in "compact mode". A "visibility" and a "lock" icon over the big thumbnail can be handy when we are in this compact mode (like the icons we have in the sketchbook layer stripe)

An option in Artstudio / Preferences / Interface to adjust the size of the layer thumbnail in the compact mode would be interesting. Since the "compact mode" is meant to be super clean and compact, a slider in the compact layer to define the thumbnail size would be against the concept

Or maybe, instead of changing the size of the layer thumbnail in compact mode using the preferences menu, we can do it visually, the thumbnails can increase in size while we are in compact mode if we can "stretch" the panel to the side, making the panel not only taller but wider too - maybe dragging from the corner of the panel?

mattnava

• Creative/Art Director. The Pathless, ABZÛ, Journey
    • Matt Nava Portfolio
re: number 3- Clear exists, exactly as you describe it fyi! Its in the edit menu, and is assignable to the quick menu. I use it all the time that way. You can also assign a hotkey to it if you are using a Bluetooth keyboard.

I like the number 4 idea of a slim mode for the layers panel! Something similar was just added to the brushes panel. Would be a great feature especially for the smaller iPad mini screen size.

artstudio

Suggestion 1- I agree. A dedicated base layer will be very helpful.
S3- ASP already has a ‘clear layer’ option. You can put it on the toolbar for quick access or map a quick menu slot to it.
S4- Yes, a slim version of all floating panels is needed. The brush panel is already slimmed down with the 4.1 update. I think devs are working on resizing option for layers and color wheel too.

RHiNO

@mattnava Oops about suggestion 3:

I looked only in the "Layer" menu and in the popup when we clicked on the layer thumbnail

I think the "clear" could be somewhere in this popup too since this is a useful tool - For people who don't want to use the drop-down menu or put it in a quick menu slot

Since the logic is already there, the suggestion for that "3 fingers swipe right and left" gesture to clear the layer remains, could be handy ;)

alfanders

the fourth suggestion, compact mode, sounds interesting

here's how I envision it might look

Tho I feel like the opacity slider would be useful since we use it rather often. Maybe something like this? 🤔

RHiNO

@alfanders Interesting concept, looks like something between the full panel and a fully compact panel. Sketchbook manages to compact it even more (also, the first layer from the bottom is that "special background color" layer I mentioned in the first post)

Speaking of which, one additional suggestion, let me call it number 5:

Check the Sketchbook color strip, maybe if we can "resize" and "squeeze" the color wheel panel to be very narrow, the color wheel panel can become a strip like this, with the current/previous color on top instead of that circle? A color strip can be a good match for a "compact workflow"

alfanders

Wow that is very barebone indeed

I'm not sure whether I'd like this or not since I've never tried using this before hahah.

Cheers!

@alfanders Interesting concept, looks like something between the full panel and a fully compact panel. Sketchbook manages to compact it even more (also, the first layer from the bottom is that "special background color" layer I mentioned in the first post)

Speaking of which, one additional suggestion, let me call it number 5:

Check the Sketchbook color strip, maybe if we can "resize" and "squeeze" the color wheel panel to be very narrow, the color wheel panel can become a strip like this, with the current/previous color on top instead of that circle? A color strip can be a good match for a "compact workflow"