Author Topic: beta 806 bug?  (Read 3039 times)

LCArt

beta 806 bug?
on: May 19, 2022, 04:42:17 AM
"layer thumbnail background is now plain (no checkboard)"
The layer's thumbnail background has the same color as the theme you pick up for the app, before this beta it was tied to the "light checkboard background", is this a bug? Each animation's frame thumbnail background is always white, no matter what option you change.

I personally prefer having the overall theme dark and the thumbnails white, so i have a better contrast, but dunno.

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
Re: beta 806 bug?
Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 09:41:10 AM
Another bug I noticed regarding that, is that the thumbnails are always square ratio now. Before it was possible to change the thumbnails to the same ratio like the canvas is when “clip thumbnail to image bounds” in preferences>interface>Layers was turned on, now those option don’t work anymore.

Also I think it would be good if the white animation layer thumbnail background would have the same dark grey color as in the layers panel and also have the same ratio as the canvas when that setting is turned on, to look more consistent.

And one more bug is that the layer thumbnail in the animation panel doesn’t update it’s thumbnail after each stroke, it only updates if you switch to a different layer.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 03:38:14 AM
We will fix both things asap

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 09:44:10 AM
We will fix both things asap

The thumbnails are still only shown as squares in the latest beta. “clip thumbnail to image bounds” in preferences>interface>Layers, only changes the size within the square ratio. And “layer flashing” changes nothing currently.

Also the X indicator to show that a layer is empty, is too thick now, it would be visually better to make the lines of the X thinner and more transparent again.
Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 09:34:07 AM by icezimy

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 07:37:41 AM
We removed "Square Thumbnails" option from Preferences to make UI more consistent.

Layer Flashing options works fine, i have just tested that.

X is too thick - we will fix it
Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 07:40:39 AM by Lucky Clan

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
Reply #5 on: May 31, 2022, 11:35:25 AM
We removed "Square Thumbnails" option from Preferences to make UI more consistent.
1) I saw that, but what I meant is, that it’s generally always square thumbnail now. Before it was possible to have the thumbnail in the same ratio as the image. Now it only changes within the square ratio, when it should be changing the overall ratio. If that’s on purpose, then I don’t think it’s the best UI decision, I think it should be up to the user if they want a square thumbnail or image ratio, so definitely the previous way, where everything could be adjusted individually was better. (Like in the current AppStore version)

Layer Flashing options works fine, i have just tested that.
2) It doesn’t do anything for me, it also doesn’t work in the AppStore version, I just noticed.

X is too thick - we will fix it
3) I saw it was adjusted a bit, but I still think it’s too thick and opaque. It should be very subtle, like before, otherwise it’s too distracting.

4) Also the strokes of the thumbnails (like the lines of what is drawn on the layer), look a bit weird now, almost as if they are very strongly sharpened with a white outline around it. It doesn’t look like a true representation of what’s on the layer, the colors look slighty different too. Especially if you compare it with the current AppStore version, it looks wrong.

I attached a screen recording showing all of what I just mentioned, compared with the beta (dark blue accent color) and the AppStore version(light blue accent color). Generally I’d suggest everything to stay as it was, except for removing the checkerboard background. The other changes made to the thumbnails right now, are not an improvement to the UI, imo it looks less professional, with less options than before. Hope it can be fixed.

Thanks!
Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 12:00:37 PM by icezimy

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #6 on: June 01, 2022, 04:00:44 AM
1. Thumbnail background is always square, but if you turn on Preferences > Interface > Clip Thumbnails To Image Bounds, thumbnail will show the layer without trimming (in canvas width / height ratio).

2. Maybe you work on very big canvas so app is too busy to render the flash animation. Please create a new image, not too big, and try again

3. X uses standard text color used in for all labels/buttons, so it looks consistent.

4. Yes, we added outline so for example dark stroke is clearly visible on dark background on thumbnail. Indeed we didn't use that on the App Store version. We will test the outline to be more transparent..

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
Reply #7 on: June 01, 2022, 06:00:30 AM
1) Yes but exactly that option is not working for me in the beta, even with "clip thumbnails to image bounds" the thumbnail will stay square... it works fine in the app store version, as you could see in the screen recording

2) I tried again on A4 canvas with only 3 layers, it still doesn't work

3) I understand... but maybe thickness can still be reduced a bit more

4) The outline looks very weird in my eyes, I actually thought it was a graphical bug, rather than an visibility improvement... Especially thin strokes (sketches) are hard to see details like that. I think it should be completely removed again.

Checkerboard was better in that case, since on checkerboard you can see light and dark strokes... However, in Procreate it works too without checkerboard and without outline, so idk... but the outline definitely is very very odd

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
Reply #8 on: June 17, 2022, 10:49:27 AM
1) Yes but exactly that option is not working for me in the beta, even with "clip thumbnails to image bounds" the thumbnail will stay square... it works fine in the app store version, as you could see in the screen recording

2) I tried again on A4 canvas with only 3 layers, it still doesn't work

3) I understand... but maybe thickness can still be reduced a bit more

4) The outline looks very weird in my eyes, I actually thought it was a graphical bug, rather than an visibility improvement... Especially thin strokes (sketches) are hard to see details like that. I think it should be completely removed again.

Checkerboard was better in that case, since on checkerboard you can see light and dark strokes... However, in Procreate it works too without checkerboard and without outline, so idk... but the outline definitely is very very odd

4) nvm it’s much better with the thinner outline!