Author Topic: Slow performance with many layers - optimize possible?  (Read 3091 times)

Andreas Raninger

Slow performance with many layers - optimize possible?
on: December 05, 2021, 04:06:49 AM
I've been stresstesting Photshop and Affinity Photo on my iPad Pro 12.9 2017. Both Photoshop and Affinity seems to handle a lot of layers without any penalty in performance.

ASP on the other hand is struggling a lot with the same amount of layers. I jump to my Mac Mini M1 and run Astropad when this happens, but on the road I don't have this option. Is it possible to improve many layers performance in ASP or is a total rebuild of the core required in ASP?

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Re: Slow performance with many layers - optimize possible?
Reply #1 on: December 10, 2021, 02:58:38 AM
It would require a lot of work, so it must wait.

Bbolger

Reply #2 on: January 09, 2022, 08:05:08 AM
I've been stresstesting Photshop and Affinity Photo on my iPad Pro 12.9 2017. Both Photoshop and Affinity seems to handle a lot of layers without any penalty in performance.

ASP on the other hand is struggling a lot with the same amount of layers. I jump to my Mac Mini M1 and run Astropad when this happens, but on the road I don't have this option. Is it possible to improve many layers performance in ASP or is a total rebuild of the core required in ASP?

Really? I find the opposite to be true, at least on AP (don’t know about iPad PS). An A3 file @300 dpi with 150+ layers on ASP gets a bit laggy but I can still work on it pretty well. The same file on AP would have more or less same performance drop, but AP crashes on me much more regularly (even when working on smaller files)

Andreas Raninger

Reply #3 on: January 09, 2022, 09:56:33 AM
I'm on a iPad pro 12.9 2 gen. That might be the problem in my case. I have solved my latency problem, in big projects, by using Astropads Luna on my M1 Mac mini and the iPad version of ASP. It's almost like painting on the iPad natively. :)

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 08:37:18 AM
Artstudio should process canvas with large number of layer a bit faster in the latest beta (build 752+)

Andreas Raninger

Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 02:11:58 PM
Ok. I'll test it with a mega project. If you don't hear from me in a while, my iPad probably blew up. ;)