Author Topic: What do these preference settings mean?  (Read 3511 times)

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
What do these preference settings mean?
on: October 08, 2021, 01:49:18 PM
Hello!

I just went through the preferences of Artstudio Pro again and I’m abit confused/ don’t understand what some of the options do or mean.

First one is Artstudio>Preferences>Tools>Remember resize/transform interpolation

What does that mean and how does it make a difference wether this options are turned on or off? And is it better to keep them on or off?

And the other one is Artstudio>Preferences>Apple Pencil>Maximum velocity

I tried it on maximum (100) and minimum (1). But I don’t understand what this setting does and I couldn’t feel a difference.

Thanks in advance :)

Andreas Raninger

Re: What do these preference settings mean?
Reply #1 on: October 09, 2021, 03:00:23 AM
The remember resize/transform interpolation is to remember the algorithm used when doing resize and transformation tasks. The algorithm is important to keep the quality of the object you resize and transform in different situations. You can choose interpolation when tapping the three dots on the left toolbar in when that tool is selected. If you want ASP to remember that setting, as the default, you do that in the preferences. Photoshop uses, by default, Cubic soft and Cubic sharp in auto mode. Doing pixel art I think linear is the best choice but I could be wrong.

Maximum velocity. I have no clue. Someone else that can enlighten us about this setting?

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
Reply #2 on: October 09, 2021, 04:34:47 AM
Oh I see, thanks for this explanation! But I tried just now with transform and resize tool and it didn't make difference. Like it remembered the interpolation that I used before even with the setting turned off? (Tried on current and new documents)

And I'm relieved I'm not the only one confused by the velocity setting lol
Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 05:08:32 AM by icezimy

Andreas Raninger

Reply #3 on: October 09, 2021, 11:35:18 AM
Yeah, some settings are a bit of an enigma.  ;D It might be that it remembers the last used between sessions? I don't know really. I just enabled it, never checked and relied on that it never changed.   

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 09:55:49 AM
 So I actually asked via email and got a response from the developer. I guess that makes it all clear now. Thought I’d post it here too, in case someone ever has the same question again :D

‘“Remember Resize Interpoation” - save “Interpolation” value used in in Image > Resize Image, even after you restart the app. If off - Interpolation will be set to “LInear” after app relaunch.
“Remember Transform Interpolation” - remember Interpolation used in Edit > Transform

Maximum Velocity - it is used when using brushes with “Velocity” dynamics, for example Pens > Velocipen. It says how fast you have to move your Pencil/Finger to achieve the max dynamics effect.
In Velocipen - how fast you have to paint to achieve the minimum stroke size.”