Author Topic: reset brush(es) back to default settings and textures  (Read 11549 times)

1000brushes

reset brush(es) back to default settings and textures
on: December 17, 2017, 12:18:22 AM
Hi Lucky Clan,

I've used the first Art Studio a LOT over the last year.  Mostly I used it to crop and label and arrange and export stuff I did in another app.  It has helped me so much!

But I was excited to discover today that you had a new Art Studio Pro with a new Brush Engine.  I bought it right away.

Unfortunately, as I was playing with the brush settings, I realized I can't find the reset button.

There HAS to be a reset button for each brush to get back to the default settings, textures, etc., for that brush, but I can't find it.

---*****---

I tried to get around this problem by creating a duplicate copy of a whole brush group, and then making various changes to the duplicates.

Unfortunately, the changes also took hold in the actual brushes, as well as the copies that I was working with.

The only way I can find to reset all these brushes is to DELETE THE APP.

Since I don't have enough data in my data plan to download it again (and again and again), it looks like I'm out of options and will have to continue without this new app.

I feel very sad about this.

---*****---

If you can tell me there is a reset button for every brush (or even for all brushes), that would save the whole situation, both now and future.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

heisreason

Re: reset brush(es) back to default settings and textures
Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 07:38:25 AM
The reset option for brushes is in the "View" drop down menu. Its the "Reset Tool" option.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 03:58:38 PM
You can reset brush in current tool to default like heisreadon wrote.

But you should know that built-in brush groups are never changed, you can always switch to one of the builtin group and choose a brush. If you change a brush and save it in builtin group, app always creates new group named for example “Sketchin Modified”. Original group stay unchanged

1000brushes

Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 07:45:20 PM
Thanks so much heisreason and admin!

---*****---

I tried this and apparently "Reset Tool" resets ALL tools.

I'll have to figure out major workarounds for this.

Do you think you'll ever have a reset button for each individual brush?

I often use several brushes in one painting.  Also, I change settings like crazy as I go.  If I'm working in one brush, and then "reset" that brush, then when I go back to a previous brush, I'll have to start all over with it to get back to what I was doing.

Although I can hopefully get around this, even my probable workaround will break up the flow of work.

I can probably do okay that way for awhile, but hope you will consider making a reset button for each brush, including self-made brushes.

Just a thought.

I'll go try out my workaround possibility now.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 02:50:42 AM
View->Reset Tool resets only the active tool.

I'm not sure if I understand the problem you described - maybe send a video showing it.

As i wrote before resetting individual brushes does not make sense, because you have access to original brushes (they cannot be overwritten).
Maybe you have to save changes after you modify a brush (in brush editor - drag brush preview at the top to thumbnails at the bottom).

1000brushes

Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 10:01:49 AM
In that case, just switching to a different tool is what is resetting the previous tool.

This will make it nearly impossible for me to do anything but the most basic sketches with your app.

Normally as I work, I am switching between several brushes.  As I go, I'm making small changes to each brush, building from the previous changes.  In the apps I've been using, those changes hold even when I switch back and forth between brushes.

If I had to save every tiny change as a new brush, not only would things come to a standstill, but I'd have hundreds of brushes in no time.

I don't think that will work for me.

I don't think I'll be able to use this except for simple sketching, but I'll watch for updates.  It's a great app in many ways.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 12:26:40 PM
I know editing, or rather saving brush is not very intuitive now, it will change in future versions.
You have just remember to drag preview to thumbnails.

Drag over thumbnail to overwrite it, drag between thumbnails to add.
You can also tap "Gear" icon and tap "Overwrite Selected Item" and "Add Current" to do the same.

1000brushes

Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 12:26:23 AM
I'll definitely keep watching!  It's encouraging to me that you are responding on these forums in such a positive and timely way.  Thank you :)

---*****---

In this thread, I think we're talking about three different things.

First:  Can brushes be edited and saved?

Yes! as you described.  The language used doesn't quite make sense to me, but it can be done, right now.

But, second, can an artist switch between multiple brushes, tweaking each brush slightly, and come back to a previous brush and find the most recent tweaks still in place?

No.  Each brush is reset to defaults the moment you switch to a different brush.

This is a huge problem for me, because I constantly switch back and forth between several brushes, changing each one slightly as I go.  And then changing it again, and switching, and then changing it again a little............

So if I have to start all over with each brush, every few seconds, and re-do the first tweaks, and then add in my new tweaks as I go, it would be prohibitive.

Alternatively, if I save every tweak, every time, as a new brush I'd be absolutely drowning in dozens of brushes in just a few minutes.

The artist should be making the decision of when to reset a brush.  That HAS TO BE UP TO THE ARTIST.

And the third issue, then, is that we need a reset button for each brush that isn't activated until the artist decides to reset back to default for that brush.

And the brushes that the user creates should have their own reset buttons too, in addition to the buttons for the brushes that are shipped.

---*****---

P.S.:  Here is some language that might make better sense:

..... "Save as New Brush"

..... "Overwrite Brush w/Current Settings"

..... "Reset Current Brush to Defaults"

..... "Reset All in Category to Defaults"

And of course all the choices you have to make new categories, and copy between categories, are very important as well.  Wonderful in fact!