Author Topic: A Paint Roller tool.  (Read 1703 times)

Dorothyfan1

A Paint Roller tool.
on: August 10, 2021, 12:10:35 PM
Sorry…I just had to violate my own terms to post this thread to remind Lucky Clan we need this. A paint roller combines the lasso tool, polygon tool in one and immediately fills the color of the object without having to do this separately. A paint roller eliminates the need to use the lasso tool separately and closing it to fill the marching ants of the selection with color. The paint roller does the job immediately. Although Procreate doesn’t have this…Infinite Painter DOES. This is the killer tool that Art Studio Pro needs. One reason I’m still using Infinite Painter is BECAUSE they have the paint roller tool. If Lucky Clan implements this paint roller tool feature…I wouldn’t have to use Infinite Painter anymore. It’s that simple. So, Lucky Clan developers…if you’re reading this…please do it. This is literally a no brainer.

You can go back to your regularly scheduled programming.

mattnava

• Creative/Art Director. The Pathless, ABZÛ, Journey
    • Matt Nava Portfolio
Re: A Paint Roller tool.
Reply #1 on: August 10, 2021, 01:03:51 PM
If I understand what you are describing correctly, this feature exists in Art Studio Pro. There is an option in the tool settings for the Bucket Fill Tool (and Pattern Bucket Fill Tool) called Lasso. It’s right at the top of the options. It’s been referred to as “Lasso Fill” on these forums. You can set the blending mode to erase in the tool options to make it act like an eraser. It’s handy to set one of the buckets to erase, so you can quickly fill and erase by switching between those tools.

Unfortunately there isn’t much documentation about this feature out there, it’s pretty tricky to find. but it works really well.

Dorothyfan1

Re: A Paint Roller tool.
Reply #2 on: August 10, 2021, 01:52:02 PM
If I understand what you are describing correctly, this feature exists in Art Studio Pro. There is an option in the tool settings for the Bucket Fill Tool (and Pattern Bucket Fill Tool) called Lasso. It’s right at the top of the options. It’s been referred to as “Lasso Fill” on these forums. You can set the blending mode to erase in the tool options to make it act like an eraser. It’s handy to set one of the buckets to erase, so you can quickly fill and erase by switching between those tools.

Unfortunately there isn’t much documentation about this feature out there, it’s pretty tricky to find. but it works really well.

Thank you so much for this detailed explanation. I now know how this works! It does work but there’s a problem…it only works in the current session when using this. There is no way I know of to make this a permanent tool to use whenever I need to. I would have to select the bucket fill tool. Open the options in the 3 dot color bar to get to the settings of the current tool and change the blend mode to erase. But this only works on the current session. The minute you CLOSE the options for that bucket fill tool…it reverts back to normal. Is there any way to keep this tool with the setting I choose it like that so it’s always set to “erase” in the blend mode?

Edit: Very important detail. You have to change the BLENDING mode to OVERLAY…not ERASE. Because erase will literally only erase the underlying layer. Another detail…you can save this bucket fill tool setting only in the Favorites toolbar. So set your Bucket Fill tool to lasso, change the blending mode to OVERLAY and then hit save on the Favorites toolbar. Now you have the bucket fill tool that remembers your setting. Procreate is probably going to get something like this pretty soon. They mentioned something about “favorites”…so being able to save tool settings in a favorites toolbar makes sense.

Lucky Clan, please tell me there’s a way to save the Favorites because it’d be hell to lose all those toolbar settings if something goes wrong and I have to reinstall the app. Resetting all those brushes would take forever. Not to mention I won’t be able to remember all the exact settings I set up after fiddling for all the sliders and buttons to get them where I want them. If there isn’t a way to save those settings in the Favorites…please make this an update soon. Because we would definitely appreciate having the ability to save Favorites in a folder online like in Dropbox or whatever and being able to restore directly from Dropbox and such.

Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 03:26:21 PM by Dorothyfan1