Author Topic: How to remove background from scanned drawings?  (Read 3777 times)

GabrielaShelArts

How to remove background from scanned drawings?
on: August 10, 2021, 09:22:14 AM
Is there any quick way to remove the paper background from scanned drawings and watercolor paintings?
I have some watercolor animals I created I want to "cut out" so the background is transparent, that way I can reuse them for other designs.
I used to know how to do that with photoshop fairly easily, is there any quick way to do that in Artstudio pro?
Thank you!

Dorothyfan1

Re: How to remove background from scanned drawings?
Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 10:25:44 AM
I just learned about this trick in Artstudio Pro. If you select the Paint Bucket Fill tool go to Options in the 3 dot ellipsis on the toolbar. In there you change the mode of the bucket fill tool into a lasso. Then in the Blending mode you choose Erase. Now the Bucket Fill tool acts as an eraser…you outline the area you want to erase and that part is deleted. You’ll need to experiment with this undocumented feature because I don’t know if this will mask out the area you don’t want to erase.

Ben

Reply #2 on: August 28, 2021, 06:30:09 AM
Is there any quick way to remove the paper background from scanned drawings and watercolor paintings?
I have some watercolor animals I created I want to "cut out" so the background is transparent, that way I can reuse them for other designs.
I used to know how to do that with photoshop fairly easily, is there any quick way to do that in Artstudio pro?
Thank you!

How did you do it in photoshop?

Andreas Raninger

Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 12:03:44 AM
Some artists that work with mattepainting in the filmindustry copy the layer and set it to black and white. Then change the contrast with curves or levels to create a mask that masks out the section they want to keep. This way you can always adjust the mask whithout destroying the original layer if you need to adjust it further in to the project.