Author Topic: Bug: Cannot interact with section of screen when menu is visible  (Read 2706 times)

mattnava

• Creative/Art Director. The Pathless, ABZÛ, Journey
    • Matt Nava Portfolio
I noticed that the area to the right of the menu is unresponsive when the menu is visible. You cannot draw, make selections, add text, etc within this rectangle. When the menu is hidden, the issue goes away. Attached is a image illustrating where this occurs.
Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 05:15:55 PM by mattnava

lastaccess

Yeah, confirm that.

This menu is bad design, imho. It’s out of place and consumes screen space. All menus should be in one top bar. Autohiding doesn’t solve the problem, it needs to many taps to dig through menu if it closes all the time. Of course we can live with it, but it is not the best solution.

mattnava

• Matt Nava Portfolio
Thanks for confirming!
I think the menu was all in one line across the entire top edge and always visible, but that made it so the toolbar had to go on the side of the screen. I put most of the menu items I use frequently in the quick menu so I like that you can hide this menu to reclaim space. It is nice that its position lets the side of the screen be clear, too. I actually prefer this setup over the old layout- it feels less desktop-ish because the menu can be hidden, while maintaining the intuitive, discoverable access to functions that a menu adds. It definitely prioritizes discoverability over speed of use, but the quick menu can make up for that since its designed for speed instead of discoverability. I think there is a setting in the preferences to make the menu not auto close too, that you might want to try.
Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 09:58:03 PM by mattnava

lastaccess

I agree that current version is much better then 2.x. But it still has lots of room to improve in terms of design and usability. And even now it is the best art app in the AppStore.

We have plenty of free space in top bar in landscape. And i can’t understand why it is not used. I think it is not big problem to redraw interface in vertical orientation with menu button and in horizontal with no menu like on screenshot for example. Artstudio menu can be easily put under File menu to save screen space.

mattnava

• Matt Nava Portfolio
Totally. It does fit and it is nice to see it on one line to get the space back. It does get a bit visually crowded/cramped, which makes it a bit overwhelming to read. Especially considering that the toolbar can be extended to potentially even longer lengths. I imagine it gets a bit tougher if the app is narrowed by being in split screen, which is a case that needs to be supported too. I could see a switch that swaps between the menu with the toolbar on the top edge. You never really need both at once, functionally. Might be a nice option that conserves screen space/minimizes crowding.

lastaccess

I could see a switch that swaps between the menu with the toolbar on the top edge.

That would be ideal. You can easily operate with top bar with the switch according to screen orientation and split screen.

Ben

I agree that current version is much better then 2.x. But it still has lots of room to improve in terms of design and usability. And even now it is the best art app in the AppStore.

We have plenty of free space in top bar in landscape. And i can’t understand why it is not used. I think it is not big problem to redraw interface in vertical orientation with menu button and in horizontal with no menu like on screenshot for example. Artstudio menu can be easily put under File menu to save screen space.

Because you don’t have this much space on a smaller iPad, not even in landscape orientation. I have a 10“ and the menu takes almost half the space of the entire Toolbar, it does not fit in there at all, unless I only want a handful of icons in there. I also would not want the menu to be permanently visible and crowding a toolbar that I use for icons. And and some people need both, the icons in the toolbar +the menu for quick access, so the current solution serves everyone. I agree it’s not perfect, but all suggestions here are not a solution either