Author Topic: Switching between Brush & Eraser  (Read 4286 times)

cytryz

Switching between Brush & Eraser
on: June 10, 2021, 02:53:02 AM
So i started trying to use Art Studio recently.

I just was wondering if there’s a simpler way to switch from your brush to your eraser/visa versa. I find it a bit cumbersome to always having to reach up.

I tried making a favorites box but it remembers the size of my brush which is a bit rough. Though the favorites box did solve my eyedropper problem, so i don’t constantly have to reach.

I wanted to ask since maybe it’s something obvious but I just don’t know like with the stabilizer I couldn’t find for the longest time to turn off.

I am enjoying the app quite a bit though. I do like the interface and that I can have w/e i want up in a window.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Re: Switching between Brush & Eraser
Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 05:46:44 AM
To activate Eraser and keep current brush just long-press Eraser icon.

You can also customize top toolbar, and add "Erase Blending" option.

cytryz

Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 04:37:12 PM

I was asking if there was a way to change to eraser to where one does not have to reach up to change. Other apps have ways to toggle between the two without the user needing to reach across to the other side of the screen. Whether it’s placing it in the same location as where one’s sliders are, swipe gesture, hold with finger while drawing, or w/e. I was asking if there is such a way to swap. Currently the only way is to have a specific eraser in your favorites and drag the box near the size/opacity sliders.

Kind of like how you have the 4 finger tap to access otherwise cumbersome tasks to repeatedly have to reach for such as a specific filter or a layer function. I hope this makes more sense.

Generally the things you want to be immediately and most quickly accessible are Brush size/Opacity, Eyedropper, and Brush/eraser.

ahtiandr

Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 05:41:16 AM

I was asking if there was a way to change to eraser to where one does not have to reach up to change. Other apps have ways to toggle between the two without the user needing to reach across to the other side of the screen. Whether it’s placing it in the same location as where one’s sliders are, swipe gesture, hold with finger while drawing, or w/e. I was asking if there is such a way to swap. Currently the only way is to have a specific eraser in your favorites and drag the box near the size/opacity sliders.

Kind of like how you have the 4 finger tap to access otherwise cumbersome tasks to repeatedly have to reach for such as a specific filter or a layer function. I hope this makes more sense.

Generally the things you want to be immediately and most quickly accessible are Brush size/Opacity, Eyedropper, and Brush/eraser.

What about double tapping your pencil ? Would you prefer that option  or is it still too slow ?

cytryz

Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 10:22:57 AM

What about double tapping your pencil ? Would you prefer that option  or is it still too slow ?

I use Gen 1 technology. So that feature does not work for me.

ahtiandr

Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 05:52:41 AM

I use Gen 1 technology. So that feature does not work for me.

I see, well then there is one more option I can think of. You could assign eraser and paint tools into your quick menu.

mattnava

• Creative/Art Director. The Pathless, ABZÛ, Journey
    • Matt Nava Portfolio
Reply #6 on: July 07, 2021, 02:57:33 AM
Another option is to just connect a Bluetooth keyboard and use hotkeys. You can assign brush and eraser to the same hotkey and then use one button to cycle them. You can actually assign any number of tools to the same hotkey to make arbitrary length cycles, and that order the tools are in on the toolbar will dictate the order in which  they cycle.
Any standard Bluetooth keyboard will work for hotkeys. But I use the 8 bit do zero micro game controller for this since it’s easy to hold in one hand, is super portable, and supports keyboard output. If you go for a game controller as an input device, make sure it can output keyboard keys instead of just game inputs. Art studio pro can’t recognize game inputs for hotkeys.

If you are trying to speed up/minimize fatigue using the interface for common actions, I recommend changing the quick menu hotkey to double tap. It’s faster and easier to execute than 4 finger tap. You can put shortcuts to tools in there, it’s faster than reaching to the top since it appears around your finger. I put shortcuts to open the colors, brushes, and layers windows in there, it’s made a significant improvement in speed and minimizing fatigue.
Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 03:02:44 AM by mattnava

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #7 on: July 08, 2021, 11:19:53 AM
You can also go to Preferences > Gesture, and set Finger Function: Eraser