Author Topic: So many prayers, so little time  (Read 2994 times)

Nighternet

So many prayers, so little time
on: March 16, 2018, 03:40:48 AM
I think, rather than suggesting new (and sometimes unnecessary) features, it'd be more informative to the developers if each one list the worst 3-5 things in the current app. This way it'd become less of a personal preference and more of the vox populi, a real usability issue. Maybe it'd be better if there was a separate section for that with some voting mechanism.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Re: So many prayers, so little time
Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 04:20:00 AM
Just write you worst things here.
I think one of them is "Elastify" filter (aka Liquify, Warp) from old ArtStudio - we are working on this now, it is almost ready.
The other one can be missing User's Manual - we are working on this as well, however we need time to finish it.

Nighternet

Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 02:21:46 PM
These are new things. I was talking about less than perfect existing features. It'd make sense to separate them. For me there are two:

1. Textured brush unpredictable behavior. Size behavior laregly depends on the canvas size. Because one practically always work in non-100% magnification, same brush "feels" different. This is a major problem of working on a small screen: you always work on a part of it (see my request for a quick "in and out" button). The only solution for this would be the ability to set brush size in %% of the screen rather than in px. Texture starts working only when brush size is comparable together pattern size. As the result, I always try and undo few times before it gets right. When it does, I save it to favs.

2. Because of that, favs have to have more sophisticated management. There is no way one can scroll through hundreds of them. They need groups and categories. There is no use having opaque brushes, smudges and erasers in one long list.

3. Transformation tools are awkward. Why can't I just use cross hairs tool to do it all? In reality moving and scaling/rotating are almost always done together. The only other option for such tool would be a switch at the bottom: "proportional/free".

4. Ability to re-arrange tools (I believe, it's coming): add/remove tools, move toolbox to where you need it (more important for those working with one hand and using pencil to change tool).

5. Why redo button is buried so deep? And away from "undo"?

6. Palette on the right. Believe it or not, I haven't used it once for getting the color. Either creating mini color scheme somewhere in the corner or (more often) picking it from the existing ones on the canvas. So it's a total waste of so precious screen real estate for me.

7. Doing art on iPad is a very new thing and, therefore, there are very few "success stories". We're learning it. For example, one always tend to work in the center of the screen, because moving art is so easy with fingers. This means it's OK to use screen corners for something useful: mod button(s), palettes, thumbnail of the canvas, reference images, etc.

8. I remove finished works from iPad (no unlimited storage) and keep them in iCould (it's cheap). Why are they all in my ASP thumbnail library? For nostalgic purposes? I have photogram and Files for that. I'd rather have all reference, sketches, trials, parts in that thumbnail library. People rarely work on more that 2-3 things in parallel. If this meant to be a replacement for Apple photos, then it needs all the goodies of it: albums, tags, metadata, etc.

Nighternet

Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 02:40:46 PM
And, yes, there is a room for the third slider on the bottom...