Author Topic: Feature Request: Gallery Folder Pane/Drag and Drop Image Organization in Gallery  (Read 1596 times)

mattnava

• Creative/Art Director. The Pathless, ABZÛ, Journey
    • Matt Nava Portfolio
I did a mock up of a folder hierarchy list view for the gallery. This would make navigating to different folders quicker, especially when there are nested subfolders- you could just tap on any folder in the list to highlight it and go there. It would also make it possible to potentially drag and drop selections of images directly into folders at any depth in the folder hierarchy, with less taps. I threw in a "minimize bar" that you could tap to make this panel optionally hide away to the side (an optional feature in my opinion! it might be cleaner if it was always there. But adding the minimize feature would let people use the gallery in a similar way to before as well, which is nice).

Folders currently appear as thumbnails among your images. This makes it hard to see the hierarchy of subfolders, and makes moving images into or out of nested subfolders tricky. The current solution to this is to move items via a temporary folder hierarchy list that pops down from the top bar. My concept basically makes that list a more accessible and prominent feature of the gallery, which could make navigation and organization simpler. Instead of having two visualizations of the folders- one for drilling down (the icons) and one for moving images around (the temporary list), this version could have one visualization of the folder hierarchy that does it all.

Drag and drop would be an intuitive way to move images or groups of selected images straight into a different folder in this new hierarchy list view. The current method of moving images doesn't take advantage of drag and drop, which is a very natural and discoverable way to do it, especially on touch devices.

The gallery already has great functionality, supporting moving groups of images within a structure of nested subfolders. I think that this folder list view idea would make it easier to visualize and interact with that hierarchy, enable an intuitive drag and drop implementation, and encourage people to take advantage of the gallery's organization features more. Thanks!

LCArt

yeeees +100000 to this, it would be amazing >.<

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
We will soon switch to system Document Browser, like in Pages / NUmbers apps.
So we will not do any changes in Gallery.

mattnava

• Creative/Art Director. The Pathless, ABZÛ, Journey
    • Matt Nava Portfolio
Bravo, that's even better! Thanks for the heads up!