Author Topic: A new idea...dragging artwork off the canvas onto the blank space.  (Read 3552 times)

Dorothyfan1

This idea comes from Zoomnotes a digital writing program that I use occasionally. What this feature does it allows the user to drag and drop pieces of text off the page and puts it on the blank space out off the margins of the page. The benefit here is you can drag and drop that text back onto the writing page when you need it.

This idea would work nicely in ASP. What this does is it allows the user to transfer the artwork by selecting everything on the page and dragging it onto the blank backspace out of the canvas ready to be dragged back onto the canvas when needed. Why would this be needed? Think of the benefits.

1. You won't have to delete the artwork right away to start from scratch. The art now becomes a impromptu repository of ideas you can "put aside" like a grab bag.

2. Then blank space surrounding the canvas becomes your stylesheet allowing you to reuse the same artwork when needed. For example, let's say you need to add some sky elements to the page. Instead of painting over an area with blue skies...you can "reuse" the sky you painted a while back since it's sitting off on the blank space. This saves time.

3. It would be the one area that ASP could get ahead of Procreate.  Win win.

Ben

I like that very much, a lot of usecases for it, but I am afraid that causes technological problems that may be hard to solve

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
You can do this now! Just activate "Move" tool, and move some content out of canvas.
Invisible content will not be deleted until you use Layer > Crop Layer > Crop To Image Bounds.

Ben

That's great, but what is still missing is the option to see the content outside of the content instead of making it invisible  8)

Dorothyfan1

That's great, but what is still missing is the option to see the content outside of the content instead of making it invisible  8)

Exactly. That’s what needs to be implemented.

lastaccess

I believe it will make the app slow and luggy. Just imagine virtual canvas size. It will eat all ram.

Ben

Hopefully with the new iPad pros and their 8-16GB RAM it won't be a problem

Dorothyfan1

Bingo. We have a winning answer. This is why I'm thinking of preordering it. Hey Lucky Clan...if you promise to implement this improvement in ASP it would be all the more reason for me to buy the  new iPad Pro. So will you do it now that we're getting a 16 gig RAM model?

LCArt

where do i contact you so you update my ipad? :)
Jokes aside, that would make everyone sluggish but the few people upgrading

Dorothyfan1

I’m actually more interested in finding out which iPad versions Apple will allow the retail chains to carry. Currently they only allow them to carry up to the 512 gig capacity editions. I would imagine they’d let them sell the 512 gig versions with 8 gigs of RAM. I’m curious to see if they’ll allow them to sell the 1 T edition. Since the 2 T editions would probably only be sold via Apple’s online store.

Ben

The app can easily adjust to the device/ram available, just like it's usual with the canvas sizes and number of layers in other apps to avoid slowing down the app

Bbolger

downloadmoreram.com

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
I also ordered 16GB version to optimize Artstudio for that.
I will probably increase max canvas size for 8/16gb iPads.
It will work faster even without the update, Artstudio will not have to swap to disk so often.

Bingo. We have a winning answer. This is why I'm thinking of preordering it. Hey Lucky Clan...if you promise to implement this improvement in ASP it would be all the more reason for me to buy the  new iPad Pro. So will you do it now that we're getting a 16 gig RAM model?

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Exactly. Artstudio stores layer parts out of image bounds, but they are not processed. Adding it to processing queue will make everything slower and more ram hungry. So it is not planned.

I believe it will make the app slow and luggy. Just imagine virtual canvas size. It will eat all ram.