Author Topic: I’m not using Artstudio Pro anymore  (Read 7304 times)

Artsketch

I’m not using Artstudio Pro anymore
on: February 02, 2021, 04:16:38 AM
I’m not using Artstudio Pro anymore. Tried and dropped. The redesign with fixed tools on top isn’t convenient. Why there isn’t a floating toolbar at least?
Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 04:20:01 AM by Artsketch

lastaccess

Re: I’m not using Artstudio Pro anymore
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 07:23:36 AM
Everyone has his own likes and dislikes. In general, I like redesign. I don’t like dropdown menu only. It wastes 1 line of screen space. All top bar should be one lined. And some other elements need polishing. But direction of development is right.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 08:19:00 AM
I’m not using Artstudio Pro anymore. Tried and dropped. The redesign with fixed tools on top isn’t convenient. Why there isn’t a floating toolbar at least?

I was explaining that few times. Generally i didn't like 3-modes solution from version 2.x (Normal, Painting, Fullscreen). Besides bottom and right edge should be empty, so user will not touch any button by mistake with his palm.
So we have the space for controls only on the left and top.

I agree movable bars is also a good solution, maybe we will implement that in the future, but now we have to add some missing features, so bigger UI changes must wait.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 08:28:36 AM
Everyone has his own likes and dislikes. In general, I like redesign. I don’t like dropdown menu only. It wastes 1 line of screen space. All top bar should be one lined. And some other elements need polishing. But direction of development is right.

You can hide the menu with icon.
Besides we will add option to auto-hide the drop-down menu in version 3.1. SO after tapping for example Edit > Copy, menu will hide.

Kardas

Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 05:15:31 AM
I personally currently like the direction it’s going, Procreate has been letting me down with lacking updates despite some of the superior ui navigation features (like swiping rich user experience for adjustments and layers to get a couple of quick different options), and once you start power using it the severe lack of basic features like clipping layers to groups and inferior brush pressure becomes exhausting. I cycle using 3 different drawing apps to keep up with their features and use them to their strengths and so far found Art studio being both comparatively frequently updated with very common sense features (I was planing to make a post about not being able to choose a color when a non-brush tool is selected eventually, but it has been fixed in newest release) and richer in features by comparison. Also no ram-limitation let’s me work at my own discretion despite less smooth performance and crash risk. Now I hope my transparency alpha + eraser post gets noticed and UI click amount gets reduced eventually, maybe with swipe actions and such.

Ben

Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 05:36:42 AM
I agree that there should be a more intuitive interaction with the interface, e.g. I always try to swipe layers to the side because it is default behavior in iOS   ;D  The interface is fine, I like the toolbar at the top, would love to see a more compact interface though with much less wasted space, there are a lot of opportunities for that. Overall I like Artstudio the most, but there are certain functions still missing from infinite painter and procreate that I need before switching completely.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 06:08:22 PM
Which functions do you mean?

I agree that there should be a more intuitive interaction with the interface, e.g. I always try to swipe layers to the side because it is default behavior in iOS   ;D  The interface is fine, I like the toolbar at the top, would love to see a more compact interface though with much less wasted space, there are a lot of opportunities for that. Overall I like Artstudio the most, but there are certain functions still missing from infinite painter and procreate that I need before switching completely.

lastaccess

Reply #7 on: February 07, 2021, 06:56:28 PM
Procreate has 3 good functions that Artstudio doesn’t have atm:
1. Quick shapes
2. Warp tool
3. Saving/Restoring selections

Ben

Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 04:42:07 AM
I already made request posts for the functions I need which go into detail, but I can roughly list them here:

- Adjustable Transformation Bounding box (like IP, not like procreate )
- Warp transform
- Ellipse drawing guides (like IP)
- Quick shapes with perspective snapping  (and adjustable curves, almost like a pen tool)
- A few perspective grid improvements
- faster quick menu flicking
- option to add all functions of the quick menu as icon to the toolbar for easy access (especially the transform tool, and the ellipse drawing guide when you implement it)
- Paper texture background layer with optional automatic replacement of all brush textures for realistic interaction with the background
- Option to set parts of the brush settings as Global (like in photoshop)
- live tolerance settings for selections
- alternative  gestures to set brush size/opacity, because flicking the quick menu removes one finger gestures for that
- Option to add favorite brushes/tools icons to a moveable small transparent toolbar somewhere in the interface for projects where multiple brushes are used a lot (like realistic paint studio, except it should be moveable)

I probably forgot something, but these functions I need to have in one app 👍

barel

Reply #9 on: February 08, 2021, 08:58:30 AM
One thing I would REALLY like is Procreate’s slider/color picker behaviour.
I can’t attach an image as an example for some reason, but imagine trying to drag a slider subtly and clicking somewhere on the dot representing the current position on the slider. In ASP, that would result in the slider teleporting to that spot, which combined with the very short sliders means a fairly massive leap in color, making subtle shifts very finicky.
In Procreate, clicking in the immediate vicinity of the dot doesn’t move the slider, making color shifting much smoother (plus their sliders and color picker in general are much bigger).
Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 09:00:46 AM by barel

lastaccess

Reply #10 on: February 08, 2021, 09:42:14 AM
One thing I would REALLY like is Procreate’s slider/color picker behaviour.
I can’t attach an image as an example for some reason, but imagine trying to drag a slider subtly and clicking somewhere on the dot representing the current position on the slider. In ASP, that would result in the slider teleporting to that spot, which combined with the very short sliders means a fairly massive leap in color, making subtle shifts very finicky.
In Procreate, clicking in the immediate vicinity of the dot doesn’t move the slider, making color shifting much smoother (plus their sliders and color picker in general are much bigger).

That’s because slider in Procreate is in percent and one many users don’t like it. Artstudio has normal pixels slider. You can’t make it fluent from 1 to 1000 px for example, half of the slider should be for lower values.

Try to uncheck “Snappable sliders” in Settings. It will give you more control. In this mode you don’t need to press exact slider, just swipe in any place on slider to move it.

barel

Reply #11 on: February 08, 2021, 12:20:02 PM
Oh, that’s actually exactly what I wanted for the sliders, don’t know how I missed that setting. The color picker in particular is still as finicky as ever, procreate applies the same logic to it as the sliders, but I’ll take Lab over it any day. Thank you.

Edit: Although I notice this does nothing for the color sliders outside the color panel, the ones that replace brush size/opacity sliders on the side of the screen. Oversight?
Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 06:05:34 PM by barel

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #12 on: February 15, 2021, 04:44:07 AM
Indeed color sliders don't support "Snappable" option. We will fix it asap.

Oh, that’s actually exactly what I wanted for the sliders, don’t know how I missed that setting. The color picker in particular is still as finicky as ever, procreate applies the same logic to it as the sliders, but I’ll take Lab over it any day. Thank you.

Edit: Although I notice this does nothing for the color sliders outside the color panel, the ones that replace brush size/opacity sliders on the side of the screen. Oversight?

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #13 on: February 15, 2021, 04:47:33 AM
The following features from the list will be added in version 3.1:
- Warp transform
- option to add all functions of the quick menu as icon to the toolbar for easy access
- alternative  gestures to set brush size/opacity (we will add 3-finger frag), but even now you can set finger function to brush size/opacity in Preferences > Gestures.
- Option to add favorite brushes/tools icons to a moveable small transparent toolbar - in version 3.1 Favorite Presets popovers will be shown as panel, so it can be kept visible all the time

Auto-shape and grid improvements are planned for version 3.2

I already made request posts for the functions I need which go into detail, but I can roughly list them here:

- Adjustable Transformation Bounding box (like IP, not like procreate )
- Warp transform
- Ellipse drawing guides (like IP)
- Quick shapes with perspective snapping  (and adjustable curves, almost like a pen tool)
- A few perspective grid improvements
- faster quick menu flicking
- option to add all functions of the quick menu as icon to the toolbar for easy access (especially the transform tool, and the ellipse drawing guide when you implement it)
- Paper texture background layer with optional automatic replacement of all brush textures for realistic interaction with the background
- Option to set parts of the brush settings as Global (like in photoshop)
- live tolerance settings for selections
- alternative  gestures to set brush size/opacity, because flicking the quick menu removes one finger gestures for that
- Option to add favorite brushes/tools icons to a moveable small transparent toolbar somewhere in the interface for projects where multiple brushes are used a lot (like realistic paint studio, except it should be moveable)

I probably forgot something, but these functions I need to have in one app 👍

lastaccess

Reply #14 on: February 15, 2021, 07:05:18 AM
When 3.1 release is planned?