Author Topic: Request: Paper layer with brush interaction  (Read 2836 times)

Ben

Request: Paper layer with brush interaction
on: December 28, 2020, 09:50:32 AM
I started painting more and more traditional looking digital paintings, This traditional look requires primarily 3 things:

1: Paper texture with certain blending modes
2: Brushes with realistic look and behavior
3: Paper texture working together with brush texture settings

Version 3 of Artstudio introduced some nice realistic brushes ( :-* for those), but what is still missing is a Paper texture layer with a selection of multiple HQ paper textures for different canvases, that automatically sets the texture of each brush/smudge/eraser to the same paper texture that is selected for the background, so that the tools match the look of the canvas, without having to change it for all tools separately by hand. That makes drawing and painting traditionally MUCH easier.

That is similar to photoshops brush settings lock that sets certain brush settings globally, even when changing to a different brush, the settings are overwritten. That photoshop feature by the way is really cool too, I would like to request that in addition to the above.

Thank You!

Ben

Re: Request: Paper layer with brush interaction
Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 08:32:42 AM
When I made the requests above a while ago, I was told realistic color mixing is not ready yet (technically), but I noticed Artrage has it now, even on the iPad app. So it’s time to request this nice feature for ASP  ;D

Dorothyfan1

Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 08:41:33 AM
I tried Artrage and had to delete the app because it’s extremely pixelated even at normal ranges. Artrage is not high resolution. Procreate and Artstudio Pro are high resolution apps. Infinite Painter is better than Artrage for that very reason.

Ben

Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 10:41:00 AM
The new Artrage vitae is not pixelated. I don’t like Artrage on iOS for many reasons, but no, none of the apps you mentioned are better at simulating real paint, unfortunately Artrage is the best app on iOS for real paint currently. I am hoping for rebelle to come on the iPad, but that is not happening anytime soon.

Anyway, this post is not about Artrage, I only mentioned it because that’s where I saw the realistic color mixing feature
Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 10:43:09 AM by Jack Ofalltrades

Dorothyfan1

Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 11:48:17 AM
The new Artrage vitae is not pixelated. I don’t like Artrage on iOS for many reasons, but no, none of the apps you mentioned are better at simulating real paint, unfortunately Artrage is the best app on iOS for real paint currently. I am hoping for rebelle to come on the iPad, but that is not happening anytime soon.

Anyway, this post is not about Artrage, I only mentioned it because that’s where I saw the realistic color mixing feature

When zooming up close when doing painting I can see it. I don’t see this in ASP at all. Why is that? I’m using 2018 iPad Pro 12.9 3rd generation using the latest Apple iPad OS. When I do 3D textures in ASP it’s almost impossible to see the pixelation, because it looks razor sharp even at close range. Not so in Artrage from my experience. But I would love to see Artrage style realistic painting in ASP. I doubt we’ll see this until Apple becomes generous with the iOS operating system memory limitations. So even if you have the latest iPad with 16 gigs of RAM…it’s insane they’re only allowing you to use just 5 gig for apps like Procreate. An A4 sized paoer with 300 dpi gets you 63 layers.

Ben

Reply #5 on: August 17, 2021, 12:14:51 PM
I get the same amount of pixelation in both apps when zooming in higher than 100% at the same resolution, so I don’t know what you experience, I don’t see a difference between both apps in that case.

Artrage vitae simulates real paint really well right now on the iPad even with the current memory limitations, I don’t believe it’s a Memory Problem, except very large brushes can become a bit laggy. I think the reason we won’t get this realistic painting in ASP is because it’s a different brush engine and not really the focus of this app, so I am just requesting a few features here that make at least getting a more traditional look easier. But sure, I would prefer to have it all in one app 8)

Dorothyfan1

Reply #6 on: August 17, 2021, 01:04:51 PM
Speaking of which…when are the developers of ASP going to engage in the forums again? We haven’t heard zip from them after the recent spate of issues mentioned on the board here. And as I recall the last thing I heard was “we’ll fix it asap”…and then nothing. Total radio silence. What’s going on?

lastaccess

Reply #7 on: August 17, 2021, 04:18:19 PM
I guess summer, vacations and so on. Don't be so demanding :)