Author Topic: Easier to use smudge tool in Procreate  (Read 11162 times)

christox

Easier to use smudge tool in Procreate
on: December 05, 2020, 09:00:05 PM
I've been using Artstudio Pro for 3 months so I'm rather new to it. But I've noticed that smudging in Procreate is more straightforward because we can basically use any brush to smudge, but that's not the case in Artsudio Pro. I have to find brushes that are designed specifically for smudging.

Why is that?

lastaccess

Re: Easier to use smudge tool in Procreate
Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 06:38:33 AM
You can use any brush here as well. Just edit brush you want to use and set “preferred tool” to any.

christox

Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 07:08:01 PM
Thank you but I tried that. What I mean is that many brushes smudge poorly. They just blur the area I try to smudge, while in Procreate it smears things around more easily.

christox

Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 07:26:17 PM

christox

Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 07:30:12 PM
Brush that's used is Greg Rutkowski Traditional Brushes - Sampled Brush 2 39. Used as a smudge brush in both Artstudio Pro and Procreate. No edits to the brush was done.
https://gumroad.com/grzegorzrutkowski#NTydE

In Photoshop there is a strength slider for the smudge tool. I can't find that in Artstudio Pro. The slider should be easily accessible, near the brush size and flow on the side.
Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 08:50:57 PM by christox

lastaccess

Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 03:10:35 AM
Checked this brush. If you turn off Angle (it is set to stroke direction), this brush smudges more active, but brush behavior is ruined of course. I think there are some bugs somewhere.

Crocorax

Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 12:50:41 PM
I have few problems with smudge brushes too. Sometimes some of my brsuhes smudge differently and I can not predict the result I expect. I am not a newbie here. I think there has to be some kind of bug or so.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 04:48:58 PM
In Artstudio each stock brush is optimized for a specific tool, so you will use it with the correct tool.

To change smudging strength you should open BRush Editor, and modify one of the following parameters:
General > Flow
Wetness > Mix Rate
Wetness > Wetness (this can be treated as a Strength value in Photoshop)
Wetness > Constant Paint

christox

Reply #8 on: December 07, 2020, 06:05:53 PM
Thank you!

Changing the Mix Rate and Wetness does give me the proper effect I was looking for.

I want to suggest a strength / wetness slider just like in photoshop. Many people won't go into the brush editor and want a simple process. Just picking whatever brush to smudge with and adjust the strength wetness for it.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #9 on: December 08, 2020, 03:59:00 AM
Smudge tool in Photoshop is very limited. It has Flow hard coded to 100% and the only parameter to change is Wetness.
In Artstudio you can adjust Flow, Blend Transparency Mode, Mix Rate, Wetness, Blur Radius. They are all important, i don't want to prioritize one of them.

christox

Reply #10 on: December 08, 2020, 03:26:19 PM
Thanks for the insight. I didn't know that