Author Topic: Version 2.2.1 bug report  (Read 6285 times)

Pri Vacy

Version 2.2.1 bug report
on: July 13, 2019, 09:09:28 AM
1) The snap button in edit>transform is just labeled as "snap" instead of the old "snap on" and "snap off" and sometimes this causes the button to not toggle between on and off.
2) The infamous disappearing layers bug still randomly manifests but is easily "fixed" by restarting the app.
3) When view>mirror is pressed in the quick menu it can rarely happen that the button gets ticked but the view does not mirror.
4) The undo button is also sometimes grayed out and the undo gesture won't work. (After a couple steps of random undo/redo it's possible to make it working again) <- tried to fix it this way again but it didn't work. Found out that after re-entering the app (still in memory) the document is opened with no history whatsoever so nothing can be undone.

All this bugs seem to happen randomly so as of now I can't tell what triggers them.
Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 05:12:16 PM by Pri Vacy

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Re: Version 2.2.1 bug report
Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 09:49:39 AM
1) Fixed, it will be available in version 2.2.3
2, 3, 4 - we cannot reproduce these problems

Pri Vacy

Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 10:36:01 AM
2) It starts happening after some time a document is opened and it gets fixed by restarting the app so it could be a caching issue (?).
3) Happens randomly, the app seems to freeze for a moment and it won't mirror the canvas. Will report as I find out more. Edit: this time the mirroring worked but the app froze for a moment and the undo history was deleted.
4) To reproduce the issue do this: draw a line, swipe or press the home button to return to the iOS home, open Safari and randomly scroll a page then open Artstudio again. About 1 out of 3 times an "Editing Disabled" popup will show up and the undo/redo history will be wiped. It's worth pointing out that I'm currently on iOS 13 beta 3 re-release, so that might be the cause.
Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 12:01:12 PM by Pri Vacy

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 03:27:29 PM
3) How do you exactly mirroring the canvas? Using View>Mirror or Image>Flip/Rotate Image>Flip Horizontal?

4) It happens because iOS sometimes has to free some memory, for example to alloc it for Safari, so it is killing apps staying in backgrounnd. Artstudio Pro uses a lot of mem, so it often choses it to kill. That's why undo history is gone.

Pri Vacy

Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 04:09:21 PM
3) view>mirror using quick menu.
4) Is Artstudio really using nearly 4gb of RAM with just 1 empty layer? If not, then iOS memory management must have really become crazy with one of the latest betas because I never had a similar problem.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 04:36:52 PM
3) i was trying to reproduce that, but everything was working fine. Do you tap the 'Mirror' button in Quick Menu with finger or Peoncil?

4) Safari uses a lot of memory, if it needs more it just asks iOS to provide some, and iOS is then killing some apps.

Pri Vacy

Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 04:55:19 PM
3) Mostly finger I think (since the history is deleted I suspect it depends on ios memory management)
4) I installed an app to check memory usage and it's about 50/60% with Artstudio and Safari in the background and about 40% with just system processes. I will install beta 2 again and report if something changes.

Edit: Beta 2 is not signed by Apple anymore so I have to wait for beta 4 that will supposedly be released tomorrow.
Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 05:03:21 PM by Pri Vacy

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 04:03:54 AM
Mirror - yes, probably app was killed/launched again, and Mirror setting is not remembered between app launches.

Pri Vacy

Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 09:32:53 AM
What's strange about iOS is that it works randomly: I tried opening Artstudio and about 30 other apps. Then, while they were all in memory, i reopened Artstudio and the history was still there. Also what does the "Editing Disabled" popup mean?

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 09:38:08 AM
iOS is doing a lot of things. Sometimes it just needs more RAM to do something and is killings some apps.

Editing Disabled - it is message coming from iCloud, it tells that document is being synchronized with iCloud server and it shouldn't be modified at this moment.

Pri Vacy

Reply #10 on: July 16, 2019, 09:47:08 AM
But why does it appear if one does not use iCloud? It's turned off in the app settings and I'm not even logged in on the iPad. As for memory management I just hope beta 4 will fix it

Pri Vacy

Reply #11 on: July 16, 2019, 04:06:54 PM
After installing the old iOS 13 dev beta 2 the memory management issue got fixed. If anyone reading this have the same problem just be aware it's Apple's fault.

Also found out that view>mirror does indeed work but it can happen that when the view is mirrored the quick menu button is not checked and when it's pressed the first time it just displays the check symbol. It has to be pressed a second time to revert the view back to normal (it was actually my fault because I usually use both normal and mirrored view interchangeably and forgot which one was the "correct" view)
Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 04:31:11 PM by Pri Vacy

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #12 on: July 17, 2019, 04:16:28 AM
Ok, thanks for info.

About View>Mirror bug - i still cannot reproduce that, sorry.

Pri Vacy

Reply #13 on: July 17, 2019, 02:13:32 PM
Memory management is still broken in iOS 13 beta 4 unfortunately...
Since the app does not reload of anything (and neither do Procreate, Affinity Photo and pretty much any other app) but just displays the "Editing Disabled" popup and wipes the history, couldn't this behaviour be caused by a compatibility issue with the way memory management works in beta 3+ ? Something changed from beta 2, that's for sure, what we still don't know if that's a bug or a change Artstudio Pro needs to be adapted for.
Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 03:00:07 PM by Pri Vacy

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #14 on: July 18, 2019, 04:28:39 AM
I only know that Apple is making some major changes in iCloud, but I don't know what are they exactly changing.